Still getting 8 eggs a day...is this normal?

MontanaDolphin

Songster
6 Years
Feb 16, 2013
Columbia, Virginia
I have read that egg production goes down in winter. I expected to see it in my girls (they were born in February of this year) by now, because we have had winter temps even though it's still fall. I have 8 girls (and 1 rooster)...the rooster and two girls are Barred Rocks, and the other 6 girls are a Barred Rock cross called Commercial Blacks. I am still getting 7-8 eggs a day.

Do all chickens start laying less? If so, when should I expect to see a decline in the amount of eggs I get a day?

Thank you!

A couple things.
Most breeds of pullets, hatched in the spring, will lay right through fall and winter with no interruption.
The second autumn and every one thereafter, they will molt. When they're molting they won't lay and that cessation can last till days start getting longer in spring.
Cold doesn't have much effect. It is the short days that has the greatest impact on laying.

What I'm trying to say is - don't get used to this.
Unless you start with new birds every year or two, you'll get a lull after this year.

Thank you! I thought it had something to do with the temps...but even so, it's dark at 5 pm, so there IS less daylight...and there aren't any windows in my coop, so when everything is closed up (after they go in to roost at dusk until I let them out around 8 a.m.) they are in the dark.

So since this is their first year I should expect to see eggs all winter long? That would be totally awesome :)

Yes, rocks are one of those breeds that are winter layers especially their first winter. So next year they may kick in again after their molt.
So here's your word of warning to start hoarding eggs next year as shorter days stimulate molt. So that can be anywhere from August thru November.

I know you didn't ask but something you said put up a red flag.
Without windows, how do they get ventilation?

I hope it is a big one. Nine birds need a lot, for both fresh air and to remove humidity. Chickens put out a lot of moisture with respiration and manure. Humidity is one of the causes of frostbite.

As for the light, birds sense light and therefor the seasons by the pineal gland in their brains. Even a blind chicken can detect seasons.
Eventually, you may want to cut a window on the East so they can detect the morning light. This will be important as they age and laying slows. Also for more fresh air.

There was a window up until July...actually, it was a square cut out with pexiglass nailed to it (the coop was here when we bought the place in January). The pexiglass got broken so I removed it and replaced it with chicken wire on top of hardware cloth to give them more air because it was HOT...100 degree weather. Then when it started to get cold at night, I was afraid of them getting sick, so I covered the opening with a piece of plywood to stop the cold air from blowing in.

Should I take the plywood off? Won't that be too much air in the winter? I can post a picture of what I'm talking about.

You can see the pexiglass here.

I took that down and did this:

Now it looks like this:

Back
Top Bottom