Still getting eggs despite snow & cold!!

humphrey farms

Chirping
7 Years
Jun 28, 2012
Naples Maine
My 7 mos old wyandottes are still laying eggs daily despite no artificial light, no heat, and cold snowy weather. They get rabbit feed (18 % protein) ,cracked corn, BOSS (14 % protein,40% fat), and Flock Raiser(20% protein) mixed in equal parts daily plus egg shells and grit. I Everyone else says their production is down so just wondering...is it the food mixture
idunno.gif
??

Mine are still laying as well. They are all between 7 1/2 and 8 1/2 months. This is my first flock, so I have nothing to compare it to, but I think mine are just confused. :) It might be because they just started laying a few months ago so they haven't slowed down production for the winter. I also have one broody hen who sneaks out of the coop (they free range) and hides under my husband's boat almost every night trying to lay on eggs.
I had assumed they were laying so well this winter because they had just started laying prior to when it got cold. I assume that by this time next year their season's will be more predictable.
As for food...I feed mine regular egg layer crumble and they free range.

Mine free range all day if they care too. You might be right about first lay as mine having been laying machines the last 2 months and these are their first eggs.. I feed rabbit food to help keep the yolks real orange and BOSS is black oil sunflower seed.

Mine are egg laying machines so far too. Again, I assumed it was because it was their first time laying, but anything is possible. I have 6 hens and one female duck. Right now I'm getting probably 1 1/2 dozen eggs a week on average. It seems like a lot for so few chickens. They're definitely good at laying eggs!

Back
Top Bottom