1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Still getting small eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chipahoy4, Aug 23, 2014.

1. chipahoy4

chipahoy4 Out Of The Brooder

May 26, 2013
    I have 8 chickens, 2 Barred Plymouth rocks, 2 White Plymouth rocks, 2 RIR's, 1 New Hampshire red and 1 Black australorpe. They have been laying since October of 2013. I get about 6 to 7 eggs daily, give or take an egg. About half of the eggs are large to extra large and the other half are small to medium size. I keep the smaller eggs for ourselves and sell the large eggs. They get fed Purina Layers pellets, BOSS, red wheat seed and oat seed. They also get all kinds of stuff from the garden such as: corn, squash, swiss chard, beans, tomatoes, peas, raspberries, grapes, cherries, etc. They also get worms, meal worms, grasshoppers on occasion and grasses. They all seem very healthy, just wondering why I would not be getting all large to xl eggs by now. Wondering if it is something I am doing wrong or if that is just the way it is. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

2. Mallory8502

Mallory8502 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2014
    My guess is bad genetics. I'm having the same issue with 2 of my EEs. The rest of my EE flock is laying large eggs, my RIR are laying LG-XL, and these 2 EEs keep laying small eggs, despite being the same age as the others. Since these 2 EEs look identical my only conclusion has been that whatever mutt genes those 2 inherited were not good for egg size!

3. fshinggrl

fshinggrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    I had a barred rock who laid small to medium sized eggs. She died at a year old shortly after she went broody. I agree with genetics.

4. Peep-Chicken

Peep-Chicken Overrun With Chickens

Jun 10, 2013
    Michigan
    My Coop
    X3, my Welsummer is over a year old, her eggs are still smaller then my bantams eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by