Still hatching! We ship! NPIP certified, 9 Pure Breeds: Blk Australorp, Buff Orpington, Cochin (bl

whatdaflockfarm

In the Brooder
Nov 6, 2016
Wisconsin
  • We are What Da Flock Farm, LLC, located off of I-94 just north of the WI-IL border.
  • We are NPIP certified (tested clean flock for salmonella and typhoid).
  • Breed descriptions are listed alphabetically. 2 photos (1 chick, 1 adult ) are pictured for each breed listed; Price list is shown in the photos. Note: the French Black Copper Marans and photos and Salmon Faverolles (chick only) photo are not ours but will be replaced as soon as is possible
  • Remaining Hatches for 2017: 5/24, 5/31. 6/14. 6/28, 7/5, 7/19, 8/9, 8/23, 9/13 and 9/7.
  • Shipping available nationwide (additional charges apply) or pick-up.

Black Australorp: The Black Australorp is originally from Australia, but is a recognized American Heritage Breed. They are a semi-rare breed, but are very popular among small flock keepers because of their excellent egg laying habits. The Black Australorp is large breed, producing ample meat, but was intended for producing eggs. These hens will provide plenty of fresh eggs throughout the colder months, putting them at the top of “best egg laying breeds” lists. They produce 240-280 large brown eggs a year. Though their off-season production is high, they are not considered to be particularly cold hardy and need to be monitored for frostbite in colder regions. They have attractive, shiny, black plumage which takes on beautiful, dark green, iridescent tones. The Australorp's dark coloring does put them at risk for overheating in high temps, but electrolytes added to their water supply is usually a sufficient prevention measure. They do well in free range or enclosed settings. They typically weigh 6 lbs for pullets and 8 lbs for roosters at 9 months of age.

Buff Orpington The Buff Orpington Chicken is an English breed well known for being one of the top dual-purpose chickens available. They are considered to be very good layers, providing 180-240 large-extra large brown egg per year in addition to providing substantial meat with a mature weight of 8 lbs for hens and 10 lbs for rooster at approximately 9 months of age. What sets the Orpington apart from other breeds its warm and friendly demeanor; they are commonly regarded as the “lap bird” of the chicken breeds. The Orpington is also a popular breed for exhibition, due to its large size and willingness to be pampered. This is a great breed for first time chicken keepers, particularly for homes with young children. .

Cochin (Blue/Black/Splash): The Cochin originated in China in and was introduced in North America in the mid 1800s. This is a fluffy breed, with feathered legs and feet (booted) that is available in a wide range of color varieties, many of which are recognized by the APA, making them an excellent choice as a show bird. Although, the Cochin is intended as a dual-purpose breed with an astonishing mature weight of approximately 8.5 lbs for hens and 11 lbs. for roosters. Though hens of this breed are not high producers of large brown eggs, they are regarded as extremely reliable layers, often keeping to a weekly schedule all year round. These hens are often broody, that is a favorite for natural incubation. The Cochin does well in confined or free-range environments; they are cold-hardy and have a pleasant disposition that is delightful for children. We have opted for a Blue breeding flock because when breeding blue genetics, blue + blue = offspring that are of 3 different varieties! Blue and Black are APA accepted varieties and the Splash is remarkably attractive.

Easter Egger: The Easter-egger got its' name due to the beautiful blue and green colored eggs they lay. An Easter-egger is commonly a mixed breed of any colored egg laying parentage (Ameraucana, Araucana, Olive Eggers, etc.) and their eggs will vary in color. They are not only sought after for their pretty eggs, but also their very good egg production (even through cold weather months) and resistance to frostbite because of the pea comb and lack of wattles; possessing instead, a fluffy "beard". Because they are cross-bred, their temperament may vary, but are usually noted as being docile, rarely broody and pleasantly companionable. This breed adapts well to open or enclosed environments. They lay 180-220 med-large blue and green eggs per year and weigh 6-7 lbs at maturity. They are a great breed for new chicken owners and children, who particularly enjoy their outgoing nature and colorful eggs.

French Black Copper Marans: The Maran was developed in Marans, France in the late 19th century by a farmer who bred the Asiatic Lanqshan chicken breed with local game fowl. The French Marans is distinguished from British varieties by feathered legs; the British Marans is clean-legged. Due to an import ban the French Marans are very rare, but desirable due to their reliable laying of large, rich, chocolate colored eggs. They have short tails, study bodies and tight, short feathers with heavy, tough shafts. Marans are a friendly breed that does well in enclosed environments with damp and cold climates. Marans are a quickly maturing laying breed but also serve well as a dual-purpose bird weighing in 7-8.5 pounds at maturity. They come in a variety of colors, but most popular are the black copper, wheaten, and cuckoo varieties. Marans were only recently recognized by the APA and are included in the Continental Class.

Golden Laced Wyandotte: The Golden Laced Wyandotte originated in Wisconsin in 1880. They are a very docile bird, and particularly cold hardy due to the rose comb and short wattles. Hens have beautiful, golden feathers rimmed with black (“lace”), and a ring of bright gold around their necks, though some do develop a double-laced pattern which is also attractive. Roosters of this breed are quite striking with their stunning array of bright colors. Hens will occasionally go broody wanting to lay on their nests, making them excellent mothers. They adjust well to confinement or free range and make a great backyard chicken. The Wyandotte is considered a dual-purpose chicken laying 180-220 large light brown eggs per year, and provide ample meat weighing 5-1/2 lbs for hens and 7-1/2 lbs for rooster at 9 months of age.

Norwegian Jaerhon: The Jærhøn originates in Norway, developed over decades of breeding. The result is an attractively colored, very small breed of chicken that are rarely broody, almost never aggressive, and produce a med-large, white egg at very near the production rate of commercial laying breeds. Their coloring and plumage is not only unique in appearance, but also produces offspring that are auto-sexing. In other words, the sex of a chick can be identified by their color upon hatching. The Jaerhon is an extremely rare chicken breed in the United States has been quickly gaining in popularity. Owners are overwhelmingly pleased with the breed and vow to always include them in their flocks. The Jaerhon is a very friendly, cold-hardy breed, whose hens are very active layers who are regarded as the “small chickens who lay lots of large eggs” sometimes exhausting themselves in the process. The Jaerhon is said to have a food-to-egg conversion ratio lower than the production Leghorns most commonly used for U. S. commercial egg production. They are excellent for small backyard flocks and very receptive to and often initiate human contact, making them a good breed for families with young children. Mature weight is typically 4-5 lbs. The Jaerhon tends to be flighty beyond typical standard chicken breed capacity; therefore, if you plan to free-range, you may wish to clip the primary light feathers monthly, or have them pinioned.

Plymouth Barred Rock: The Plymouth Rock is one of the most well-known chicken breeds in the US. This breed is particularly cold-hardy and egg production remains good during cold weather months. The Plymouth Rock is a dual-purpose breed providing 200-280 large brown eggs per year, as well as ample meat weighing approximately 7 lbs for hens and 9 lbs for roosters at maturity (about 9 months of age). The “barred” variety is popular due to its attractive plumage coloring. This breed is excellent for backyard flocks; they are rarely aggressive and are excellent foragers whose curiosity can be quite charming.

Salmon Faverolles: The Faverolles originated in France in the mid 1800s and is believed to be derived from a variety of breeds including the Houdan, Dorking, Brahma and Common Five Toes Fowl. At one time color varieties for the Faverolles included Light, Black, Dark, Red, Cuckoo as well as the current APA recognized varieties of Salmon and White. They are a 5-toed chicken and have a beard, muff, and feathered legs. This not only makes them a cold-hardy breed, but also gives them a cute, cuddly appearance. Salmon Faverolles have another beneficial quality; they're virtually auto-sexing. As the primary flight feathers begin to appear, at about 3-4 days of age, males are easily differentiated from females by their black markings, as opposed to the females light tan colored markings. Faverolles are docile and mild mannered making them a great choice for small backyard flocks. Hens lay 180-240 medium tinted eggs per year and are sometimes broody. This is a dual-purpose breed with a mature weight of 6-1/2 to 8 lbs. They are also sometimes considered an ornamental breed popular for exhibition.

Last edited:
I am looking for 3-5 black copper maran pullets shipped to 65747. looking for cost.

I tried to send that in a pm but it kept saying I needs to be 250 characters or less.

Thanks
Scott

Last edited:
Hello,

Yes, we ship anywhere in the continental U.S. I do have to strongly recommend that number of chicks that you order the started chicks. The day old chicks would not likely survive the trip. Shipping charges are by weight, even with as many as 5 started chicks you should still come (just barely) under the 2 lb mark. Therefore; Express shipping would be $28, Priority would be $18.

Easter Egger started chick pullets would be $10 each, cockerels $7 each; if you want a straight run, it'd be $8.50 each. (correction below)

If you choose priority, I'll make sure to send them out earlier in the week so that they should get to you in 3 days. I always pile lots of gro-gel in the shipper for those longer trips!

Please let me know how else I can help you.

Ooops, my apologies. I thought that price seemed a little high. I forgot I revised my price list, and was looking at the earlier version.
Easter Egger started chicks (each): pullets $8; cockerels $5; straight run $6.50

Thank you for your inquiry.
Laura, What Da Flock Farm, LLC

Last edited:
Just to confirm; (the Salmon Faverolles are a little higher)

2 Easter Egger Started Chick Pullets @ $8 ea
2 Salmon Faverolles Started Chick Pullets @ $10 ea
1 Buff Orpington Started Chick Cockerel @ $5

Poultry total $61

If you'd like me to place your order, please email me directly: [email protected]. Let me know which shipping method you would like and provide your name, address, and contact #. I will then send you a PayPal invoice and additional information such as expected ship date, etc.

Thank you for interest.
Laura, What Da Flock Farm, LLC

Back
Top Bottom