Still Have Concerns - Constipation and Swollen Vents

It’s been two weeks since I last posted regarding my Welsummer chick. Please click on the link below to read my original post.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/round-and-fat-1-week-chick-something-wrong.1512433/

Now my chick is 3 weeks old and I am at a loss to know if there is anything else I can do? I want to get her ( I named her Flo) and my Blue Splash Maran ( I named her Claire) back into the brooder with my other 6 chick that are healthy and thriving.

Both Flo and Claire have bouts of constipation and have swollen vents. Things I have done.

I feed them organic chick starter. I add water and coconut oil and make it into a soft mash. I’ve done this for almost two weeks. By the way they go crazy running around the brooder eating the coconut oil 😊.
  1. I’ve added Nutra-Drench to their water.
  2. They really don’t have pasty but anymore, however, both of their vents are still swollen. I occasionally clean small amounts of poop below and on their vents with warm water with a cotton swab. I sometime soak their vents in a epsom salt bath. I alternate and put triple antibiotic ointment and 1% hydrocortisone ointment on their vents two times daily, in the am and pm.
They both seemed to be improving and I want to get them back into the brooder with the other chicks so yesterday I feed them dry chick feed to see how they would do. Well Claire had issues pooping last night. She was able to poop without my assistance but she was chirping loudly when she did 😞.
Also, Flo seems to be okay but as I mentioned in my first post she is still very small compared to the other birds.
Is there anything else I can do to reduce the swelling and how long do I have to give them coconut oil? How long does it take a while for the vent to heal? Again I am concerned with Flo as she is very small.

Any advice is much appreciated.
I hope things have gotten better by now, but I wanted to chime in.
I had a chick last year that had a vent that looked just like that. It also seemed to have crusted closed, so I'd have to go and put her vent under running water while I worked it open again. All I did was put a little Vaseline on her vent twice a day and kept an eye on it, and made sure she was still pooping. Her vent eventually went back to normal and she is alive and well and producing great eggs almost every day.
I'm new to this chick raising, but I'm going to give some advice based on my nursing background. . . sometimes less is more. Let their bodies heal, just make sure she's still pooping.
As to the size difference, they're different breeds and that could be why they aren't the same size. Hope this helps, if not you, then someone else. Good luck!

I hope things have gotten better by now, but I wanted to chime in.
I had a chick last year that had a vent that looked just like that. It also seemed to have crusted closed, so I'd have to go and put her vent under running water while I worked it open again. All I did was put a little Vaseline on her vent twice a day and kept an eye on it, and made sure she was still pooping. Her vent eventually went back to normal and she is alive and well and producing great eggs almost every day.
I'm new to this chick raising, but I'm going to give some advice based on my nursing background. . . sometimes less is more. Let their bodies heal, just make sure she's still pooping.
As to the size difference, they're different breeds and that could be why they aren't the same size. Hope this helps, if not you, then someone else. Good luck!
Good morning and thank you for your post. Emma is 10 weeks now and is doing very good and no more vent problems. She is still about half the size as my other chickens and her wings on her back end are maturing very slow. Hoping over time she will catch up with the others.

Back
Top Bottom