Still having a little trouble intergrating

milola

Chirping
6 Years
Mar 7, 2013
In an earlier post I stated that I had merged my 12 weekers with my year old chickens. The big chickens allow they young ones to roost with them at night but the little ones are still frightened of a couple of the bigger ones. I am concerned they may not be getting enough to eat or drink. My question is does any one think that maybe if I put them all in the run together with no access to the coop that they might work things out quicker instead of the little ones being able to head for the roosting boards? The run is supposedly large enough for the 12 chickens. Plus I would be there to supervise. What do you guys think?

It actually sounds as if the integration is on course. Try providing feed and water in multiple places so as to assure that the younger bird are getting enough to eat and drink.

I agree about multiple feeding and water locations. I have three food spots and two water spots. Of course they all like to check out what the others are eating, but that means they rotate around giving everyone a chance at the food.

But the problem is that they won't come out of the coop. Or if they try, they get hustled back in. If a big chicken goes into the coop, especially if it is one that torments them they fly up to the roost and won't come back down unless they are sure it is safe. I have three feeders inside. And waterers both in and out of the coop.

Your pullets are doing the natural thing by avoiding the adults. They are simply utilizing the coop as an escape hatch. By having food and water in the coop, they will naturally tend to feel comfortable hanging out there.

If you want to speed up the integration process, then remove the food and water from the coop, set up multiple water and food stations around the run, and then leave them to work it out. Supervise if you want, but they will probably be fine doing it on their own.

You could enhance the ability of the pullets to be able to escape bullying by setting up blinds and obstacles, an upended tree stump or an old chair or table. All these will provide something to run behind or jump onto to avoid bullies.

ok. Thanks every body for your help. I guess I will just keep letting them do there thing unless blood gets drawn.

My juniors spent most their time up on the roosts during the day when the adults were in the coop until they started laying.
They know better than we how to be a member of the flock.

Back
Top Bottom