still need help. rir runny nose

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by raspeary, Jan 18, 2011.

1. raspeary

raspeary Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    Cortland New York
    So today as I was removing my chickens to the outside run (as they won't go outside if they see snow:yiipchick) so i could clean out the coop, one of my rhode island reds look like she had a runny nose.....do chickens get runny noses??? What could this mean??? Could this have anything to do with my egg production dropping since this past summer when i had two broodies? First i thought the food was the issue but now i'm wondering.....please help me if you can

Last edited: Jan 19, 2011
  2. ladrholman

ladrholman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2010
    Musquodoboit
    HI, I have a few chickens that seem to get this off and on too. Some get a sneeze too. They have gotten over it but now a few others have it. I suspect it is some sort of respiratory virus. I have also read that some can get this with change in bedding. Dust and such. I am fairly new to this and this is my first winter so I am always looking to learn from the more experienced out there. Hope they are doing alright soon.

3. raspeary

Apr 13, 2009
    Cortland New York
    and i only have one bird with this problem so far out of 7

anyone else??

4. raspeary

Apr 13, 2009
    Cortland New York
    anybody else, i was hoping to get more replies.

5. Indiana hens

Indiana hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2008
    Pendleton, Indiana
    I'll take the hot potatoe. Many diseases have runny nose as a symtom. Figuring the infliction is almost as long as "the Chicken Health Handbook, by Gail Damerow". Allergy, cold is the mild part. Many internal infections fester through a lung discharge. I treat sinus infection w/ combi-pennicilin. Internal infections w Tylan 50. Ammonia , which can irritate respiratory can be controllled w stall dry and/or change of bedding. I have had egg-carrying bacteria to cause a lingering cough before(Tylan treatment cured it).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by