1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

still need help. rir runny nose

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by raspeary, Jan 18, 2011.

1. raspeary

raspeary Songster

Apr 13, 2009
    Cortland New York
    So today as I was removing my chickens to the outside run (as they won't go outside if they see snow:yiipchick) so i could clean out the coop, one of my rhode island reds look like she had a runny nose.....do chickens get runny noses??? What could this mean??? Could this have anything to do with my egg production dropping since this past summer when i had two broodies? First i thought the food was the issue but now i'm wondering.....please help me if you can

Last edited: Jan 19, 2011

2. ladrholman

ladrholman Songster

Jul 12, 2010
    Musquodoboit
    HI, I have a few chickens that seem to get this off and on too. Some get a sneeze too. They have gotten over it but now a few others have it. I suspect it is some sort of respiratory virus. I have also read that some can get this with change in bedding. Dust and such. I am fairly new to this and this is my first winter so I am always looking to learn from the more experienced out there. Hope they are doing alright soon.

3. raspeary

raspeary Songster

Apr 13, 2009
    Cortland New York
    and i only have one bird with this problem so far out of 7

anyone else??

4. raspeary

raspeary Songster

Apr 13, 2009
    Cortland New York
    anybody else, i was hoping to get more replies.

5. Indiana hens

Indiana hens Songster

Jun 25, 2008
    Pendleton, Indiana
    I'll take the hot potatoe. Many diseases have runny nose as a symtom. Figuring the infliction is almost as long as "the Chicken Health Handbook, by Gail Damerow". Allergy, cold is the mild part. Many internal infections fester through a lung discharge. I treat sinus infection w/ combi-pennicilin. Internal infections w Tylan 50. Ammonia , which can irritate respiratory can be controllled w stall dry and/or change of bedding. I have had egg-carrying bacteria to cause a lingering cough before(Tylan treatment cured it).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by