Still No Eggs,and The Learning Curve

tsiecz

Chirping
8 Years
Sep 1, 2011
Pendleton,NY
Well, I have my chickens for two months and no eggs yet. Through trails,tribulations and alot of reading here, here is what I learned so far.
1)Not all people selling chickens are creditable...Buyer beware. Found out they buy chickens at auction and resell them. That explains why she could not tell me the ages of the chickens I got.
2) Although they looked happy I could not figure out "why no eggs?"...Well one got sick (possible Corza) I have them all on baytril and improving. The have more jump in their step now.They look like happy chickens.
3)Still no eggs so I read some more and possible causes : Molt- some mild ,some heavy. Next...Worms leads to stress-stress leads to colds and disease. I want to be the "natural chicken guy" but change my mind. So I wormed them (Duraband) first dose four days ago. NOW I HAVE HAPPY CHICKENS:lol: When beginning this chicken venture I had no idea what a happy chicken looked like, I DO NOW.What a difference in eating,running the yard,and just being chickens.
4) I am a firm believer of buying from local businesses. Well our local tractor supply (Lockport)has dropped the ball. Terramyacin not in stock.They told me it will be in next week, that passed so I put in a special order, 3 weeks ago and still nothing. ORDER MEDS ONLINE. I got everything I needed from Cal. to NY on the 3rd day.Prices were comparable.
5)So the days here are getting shorter. Still no eggs. But I really feel I have happy chickens, and will keep everyone updated when they start laying.

The learning Curve is a tough thing.

I've been burned by the auction purchases as well... and it took a lot of feeding to put some weight on, worming to remove parasites, etc. just to have a couple that honestly never layed and still are here a year later without a single egg...but we have successes too: I have found some good layers and still have them as well! Good luck and your birds are lucky to have you!

Back
Top Bottom