Still no eggs?

icewb8

In the Brooder
13 Years
Jan 22, 2007
Hi all I have 6 amerecauana hens whom I hatched in the middle of April, making them about 6 months old and I still have not even seen one egg. Whats going on?

I say they're just being difficult! I have a 24 week old Ameraucana mix that hasn't laid yet either. Maybe we should take a pot our side and give them a choice; the pot or and egg, LOL!

Hang in there! I know it is hard to be patient. Some of the Ameraucanas seem to mature slower. All my pullets are the same age. I have 3 diff, breeds ( 4 SLW, 6RIR, 5 Ameraucanas) Oh yea, and 1 surprise SLW roo. I received mine from Cackle Hatchery as day old chics. They were all hatched on April 11th, but matured at diff rates, even among the same breeds. One of my SLW at 20 wks old was my first to lay, a RIR at 21 wks was the second to start laying and that was it for a while. I guess at 23 wks old - 24 wks old the rest of the RIR started to lay.

I finally received my first colored egg from one of my Ameraucanas at 24 wks old. I think even 2 of them had started to lay that week, but they would skip a day (tease me) at the same time and take turns laying. They finally laid on the same day. one lays an olive green color and one lays a very light blue. Then at 25 wks one of my favorite Ameraucanas ( Brownie) laid a very light tan, pinkish egg. I think yesterday ( 27 wks old) was the first day that all my pullets laid.

I bet you will be getting a pretty colored egg soon. Keep us posted on their progress.

I am also in the eggless category and pretty down about it. I have 3 easter eggers and am so looking forward to those fresh eggs! My hens don't appear to be moulting and they have bright red pea combs (and have had for awhile) and they are VERY well fed. They'd rather sit on my lap and beg than do what they're supposed to do. Anyway, my neighbor suggested that lack of light might have something to do with it. They free-range all day but I'm located in the middle of the woods, pretty shady here all day, so I'm thinking he may be right. Has anyone used those work lights, not heat lamps, to provide extra light? Any advice, speculation, discussion welcome!

Back
Top Bottom