still no first egg...

countryladyNH

Crowing
8 Years
Feb 22, 2016
New Hampshire USA
My Coop
My Coop
O.k., so in my last post I mentioned that we have 4 buff orpington girls. They are over 5 mo. by now (supposedly were a mo. old or more when we got them from Murray Mc Murray the first week of April. 2 have VERY red combs, wattles, are huge and fluffy, and have been squatting A LOT for about 2 weeks. Yesterday from advice on this FABULOUS site, I checked their vents, which yes, were DEFINITELY 'wet' looking. They have lots of the right (laying) food, separate bowl of oyster shell, and treats---sweet corn, greens, and GRAPES!---plus the free range foraging.
I have had straw and fake eggs in the nest boxes for a month or more. I have seen them pull out straw and tilt their heads, peering in at the faux eggs, but not go in. I did try to put one hen in the box today and she wasn't having it.
tongue2.gif

This morning I found one of the fake eggs on the floor of the coop though!
big_smile.png
Could this be good???

LOL, all they do is use my computer and eat everything in the fridge---not a FIRST EGG in site!

Yeah, I probably am kind of silly and impatient at this point but as first time chicken keepers, we saw all the "signs" and thought that egg-citing first egg was imminent! Sigh....
I have not heard a lot of loud yelling yet...

I know there are no hidden eggs somewhere. We checked the yard to be sure, but we've also kept them in the coop for the mornings recently, to give them time to lay the FIRST EGG, and the other day they were in the coop/run all day, and yesterday as well. Since once they lay, it is usually every day, there is no chance we missed an egg---we've been diligently looking and there are only so many spots they go.

Well peeps, I just feel a little low. Life is kinda poopy right now, and I was looking for the TA DA, first egg to put a little smile on my face. Wish I knew how long all this happens before one comes...
Thanks everyone. I just love going to this site and reading all the posts. I learn so much and always have a laugh!
frow.gif

FAKE EGG. waiting and waiting.....

Last edited:
OMG, OUR FIRST EGG(S)!!! TWO TODAY, AT THE SAME TIME!!!
wee.gif

Well, almost right after I wrote this post this AM, hubby called me outside to see one of our hens in the nest box!!

www.backyardchickens.com/t/1128653/still-no-first-egg#post_17425774

There was a lot of squawking going on by all 4 hens, but it was Maisie, as expected, in the nest box. He left for work just after noon, and I went back out. This time PRISSY was in the nest box all comfy sitting there. A bit later, and despite the fact that we have 2 boxes, MAISIE was now cramming herself into the box with Prissy. It was about 1:30.
Maisie got out, but just stayed in the coop. I had to go in the house, but came out at 2.
THERE IN THE NEST BOX WAS PRISSY ONLY, AND ONE PERFECT, SMALL BROWN EGG, STILL WARM!
love.gif

I thought it was her egg. Maisie was not in the coop at this point. I stroked Prissy, and she stood up and dropped an egg RIGHT INTO MY HAND!
I COULD NOT BELIEVE IT! TO SAY I WAS IN SHOCK WAS AN UNDERSTATEMENT!

Maisie had laid her egg in the box with Prissy, and then gone into the run. I just managed to go out to the coop just after she laid her egg and went out, and so I thought it was Prissy's and went to pick her up and pet her. I am still just gob-smacked that my beautiful Prissy laid her egg right in my hand at that moment!

SO, THIS IS OUR 'BIG DAY'!!
THURS., AUGUST 18, 2016, A BEAUTIFUL DAY ON 'OUR OLD HOMESTEAD' IN NEW HAMPSHIRE---TWO 'FIRST EGGS' AT THE SAME TIME!!!
clap.gif

Maisie

Maisie

Our other girls coming to investigate...

Prissy got in a nest box...

Maisie came back in....

...No, this is not one chicken. Maisie squeezed herself into the same nesting box with Prissy! That is Prissy's face and Maisie's fluffy butt.

WHEN I CAME OUT AT 2:00, AFTER HEARING A LOT OF CARRYING ON, I FOUND MAISIE WAS NOT IN THE COOP, THERE WAS ONE WARM, PERFECT EGG IN THE NEST BOX WITH PRISSY, AND I WENT TO PICK HER UP, AND SHE DROPPED THE SECOND EGG IN MY HAND!

WE ARE JUMPING FOR JOY HERE AT THE OLD HOMESTEAD!!!
highfive.gif

I SURE WILL REMEMBER THIS ALL MY LIFE!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom