Still no legit eggs...

WindyRoost

Songster
May 10, 2020
SW Washington State
Hello all, hoping for thoughts and advice. Our barred rock is apparently trying to lay but no eggs are forthcoming. Our flocks’ first egg appeared on Aug 12, an isa brown who has continued to lay her faithful daily. Bloody stool also showed up that week, along with several soft shelled eggs which broke at lay. I figured out that the bad eggs and poop belonged to the barred rock and with advice here, noticed she was also acting quiet and standing hunched up by herself so I treated them all for Cocci. She perked up almost immediately and is back to her normal loud, bossy self, tho I hadn’t seen any sign of eggs from her until Tuesday.
When I went to collect eggs Tues am I interrupted her standing in the pen trying to expel what looked like a shell-less egg, maybe membrane-less too? It was nearly clear from what I saw. Well she sucked it back up and after a minute or too carried on with life. I worried and looked for that egg but didn’t find it or any signs of one. Yesterday I felt around between her legs and back toward her vent. Nothing obviously off from what I could tell, no hard lumps or excessive squishyness. Although, neither do I know what feels ‘right’! Some drippings stuck to the fluff under her vent, but her poops are normal and she passes them no problem.
This morning when we got eggs she was in the box acting business like but left the box and still no egg.
What could be going on here?

Your Isa-Brown is a sexlink chicken that is an efficient laying hen. They tend to start earlier than Heritage breeds. Your Barred Rock is not in same category as the super producers, (sexlinks) . It is somewhere like 5 weeks behind your Isa Brown, so it seems normal to me. She should start laying normally anytime soon.
During normal circumstances, your BR will outlive your Isa Brown, since those sexlink chicken do not usually live very long. They lay very many eggs during their life, and burn out.:hit
WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and,:welcome

Well she sucked it back up and after a minute or too carried on with life.
I may have this wrong but first thought was....
It went back inside her body?

I worried and looked for that egg but didn’t find it or any signs of one.
They may have eaten it.
How many birds total?

What all and how exactly are you feeding?
The coccidiosis may have damaged her feed uptake capability?
Did you treat the whole flock, with what and at what dosage?

She may be slow starter, or a dud.

Your Isa-Brown is a sexlink chicken that is an efficient laying hen. They tend to start earlier than Heritage breeds. Your Barred Rock is not in same category as the super producers, (sexlinks) . It is somewhere like 5 weeks behind your Isa Brown, so it seems normal to me. She should start laying normally anytime soon.
During normal circumstances, your BR will outlive your Isa Brown, since those sexlink chicken do not usually live very long. They lay very many eggs during their life, and burn out.:hit
WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and,:welcome
Thanks for the welcome! That’s good info, I was worried there might be lingering coccidiosis issues.
Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom