Still not Sure...

DragonHorseMan

Chirping
10 Years
Nov 7, 2012
After 5 months, I am still not sure if this Rhode Island Red [with black tail feathers] is a male or female. When I got the pair I was told that one was male and the other female. However after 5 months his tail feathers are not lengthening, the comb is only slightly more developed, has no spur, does not crow, but is the dominant chicken in the yard. Some of my friends say its a hen, but I still don't know! Argh!
Nice looking comb...

Saddle feathers not particularly pointy looking

The other RIR is a hen, and this black Hen...don't know the breed.

I am having a gender crisis!! Hahaha!

After 5 months, I am still not sure if this Rhode Island Red [with black tail feathers] is a male or female. When I got the pair I was told that one was male and the other female. However after 5 months his tail feathers are not lengthening, the comb is only slightly more developed, has no spur, does not crow, but is the dominant chicken in the yard. Some of my friends say its a hen, but I still don't know! Argh!
Nice looking comb...

Saddle feathers not particularly pointy looking

The other RIR is a hen, and this black Hen...don't know the breed.

I am having a gender crisis!! Hahaha!
Looks like a hen to me! We have some hens with bigger combs like that.

Is it true that if you don't have a Cock in the Flock, some Hens display Male traits, like raising hackle feathers to the other hens? When I approach the hen, she occasionally stoops, 'he' doesn't, instead he flaps his wings. Hmmm...Curiouser and curiouser.

Yep, that's a henny penny. Some are just sassier than others. Part of what makes owning chickens so fun is the personalities, imo!

Back
Top Bottom