still on the broody chicken theme

heatherhs

Hatching
7 Years
Jun 11, 2012
D.gif

heatherhs I am totally fed up with my light sussex May she has been broody now for at least 6 weeks and only goes out of the house when lifted out. She is damaging any eggs laid by the other girls. what can I do?????????????

I followed the advice I saw posted here, I made a 'solitary cage' mesh bottom and wire top and sides, NO bedding only food and water. It took three days, and I had been fighting it for two weeks. I did put her in the coop at night, but plucked her right back into it first thing. It can't hurt.
How is she damaging the eggs? mine just sat on them, like she wanted them to hatch. Hers and the others.

I tried the solitary wire cage too and it broke my 2 red sussex broodies within 4 days. I highly recommend it! (I also dipped their undersides in cold water twice a day - boy, they did not like that at first, but it sure cooled them down. Now that it's hot, they dip themselves in a little tray of water - well, they walk in it anyway. It's separate from their waterer.)

Now I'm just waiting for them to resume laying.

I tried the solitary wire cage too and it broke my 2 red sussex broodies within 4 days. I highly recommend it! (I also dipped their undersides in cold water twice a day - boy, they did not like that at first, but it sure cooled them down. Now that it's hot, they dip themselves in a little tray of water - well, they walk in it anyway. It's separate from their waterer.)

Now I'm just waiting for them to resume laying.

I had to laugh at my girl, I dipped her bottom the first time and she just sat there, it took her about three minutes to realize something was different. Mine also have the chickie pool, so maybe that was why she didn't mind at first. But when she realized she was BEING HELD!! IN COLD WATER!!! Oh the horror.
ep.gif
This was her exactly.

thanks for the advice harveyhorses

I am trying this cage idea of yours out 2 days gone now May has a broody barnvelder for company I hope this gets them back to normal and laying eggs again.

heatherhs

Back
Top Bottom