Still on the fence🤔 So confused 🙈

Islandchickenmom

Chirping
May 25, 2020
U.S Virgin Islands
Good day!

So...
Little backstory...

I've recently posted on here to maybe get insight if I have a pullet or cockerel.

Which I'm thankful to all the responses, however, lead to more confusion 🤦🏼‍♀️🙈.

Basically here is how I recieved my chick and what has me confused....

Legit didnt expect to be a chicken mom, however apparently the universe was like "here! Congrats you're now a chicken mom!"
Literally the poor thing was swooped up by a chicken hawk and fell at my feet (While home). I mean🤷🏼‍♀️ the rest is history, was love as soon as those frantic chirps stopped as I picked the little one up.

With that said.
I have no other chickens, zero, none, nada.
Yet have made the little one feel right at home and is definitely attached as much as we are to it.

Now...
From what I've researched (however I'm definitely no expert on chickens.) The cockerel have more pointed feathers, while pullets have round. Along with the tail... males supposedly have tails that curl while the females dont.

See, thing is my little one, has round feathers. I have noticed on camera they appear different due to the strategic coloring, yet they appear round in person.
The tail has not curled either.

So why am I confused well... crowing when the husband is away ( and only when the husband is away, or getting ready to leave, like the chick has learned our behaviors ).

From research ( I probably need to stop with that lol)... pullets can take on male characteristics if there are no roos present. Which in my case would make sense being it's the only chicken in our household. [[Also just a side note, can tell this little one is completely happy, definitely not a sad chick by any means]].

Soooooo. That was the backstory.

As of today the little one has been in our life for 9 weeks. I would assume (again- no expert) the pointed feathers would be showing up if not developed?

Idk I'm confused.
And if Milo (the chick) is female appears she maybe too 🤦🏼‍♀️🤣.

Anyways here are some photos...

Also NO idea of the breed. Again just fell from the sky.

Regardless Milo is family now, and is loved beyond words.
Honestly just want to be ready for what to expect. -as of now it's still a guessing game.

Thank you to anyone that read this, and to whom ever replys.
Hope you have a beautiful day!

Attachments

• 20200529_135107.jpg
    20200529_135107.jpg
    295.4 KB · Views: 45
  • 20200529_134854.jpg
    20200529_134854.jpg
    357.2 KB · Views: 15
  • 20200529_135248.jpg
    20200529_135248.jpg
    286.8 KB · Views: 15
  • 20200529_135306.jpg
    20200529_135306.jpg
    357.5 KB · Views: 16
Wow!! Congratulations!!!

Literally, you are a chicken owner because a chicken dropped out of the sky at your feet!!!!

I think it's a cockerel, so get building that coop and get him some pullet girlfriends!!! :love

Maybe it's a gold-laced wyandotte?? Just a guess - I'm hardly an expert on breeds.

I’m leaning towards boy chicken due to the comb and wattles and I think I see the start of a sickle feather in his tail. Beautiful colors, though! And congrats on being a chicken mom! When I was little, I had a roo who was like my BFF. Roosters can be wonderful pets, too :love .

Back
Top Bottom