Still only getting 2-3 eggs a day! Ugh!

wbruder17

Songster
9 Years
Jun 7, 2010
Portland, OR
Gawsh! I have 20 chickens and have only been getting 2-3 eggs a day for MONTHS now! This is getting ridiculous. And on top of it, my Wyandotte girls, Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum, have decided the New Year is the perfect time to drop all their feathers and get NEW ones... the one poor girl is practically BALD! No lie....and its pretty chilly here!

sad.png

I know how you feel...Im still waiting on first eggs from my new pullets...I think they are almost 30 weeks old now

'tis the season of egglessness. Daylength is gradually increasing - the girls will pick up on production. Patience.

I can't believe I cant wait to be getting more eggs than I know what to do with! 6 months from now and I will probab ly be complaining about the exact opposite! The grass is always greener......

Quote:
despite the obvious day light hours etc...have you checked for hidden nests someplace? If they have only been giving you 2-3 for months, its possible...go for an egg hunt...you may be surprised!

I found a post a few weeks ago here that was talking about feeding your hens pepper (black, cyanne) in a mash of sorts and it increasing there egg production. I tried it last week with cyanne pepper mixed in with a scope of feed mixed up with warm water to make a mash they gobbled it all up and went from 4 to 5 eggs a day to 10 even had 13 one day! So I am a believer not real sure how far back in this section that post is I will look and try post it here for you. Also what I have been doing is leaving a lamp/light on till about 8pm to extend light hours it helps but not nearly as effective as the pepper hope this helps!

Quote:
I have pulletts 4 and was just getting a few eggs now and then.

Then my naughty girls got into my covered patio area where I feed the cats and ate all their food and the next day I had 3 eggs lol....(I have never had 3 in one day before)I read up about cat food and some people say it is really bad for chickens and others say it makes them lay. Well mine did that is for sure 3 big eggs. Its the high protein in the cat food. Now I shall have to put a cat flap in the door so the moggies can get in and out of the patio area to eat before the big fat chooks eat all their feed again lol.

BackYardChickens Forum / feeding Chickens Black pepper. Try putting this in the search box im not the best with computers but that is the name of the post.

Same here! Everyone is bald, grouchy and non productive. Kinda like Uncle Randy.....

Back
Top Bottom