Still so many coop questions..Help???

mirmle

In the Brooder
12 Years
Jun 10, 2007
Ingersoll, ON Canada
So I have some chickens, which lead to the necessity of a coop..I think I'm doing okay so far, but am about to get stuck...have been reading for hours, but not finding what I need...here are my questions:

With an 18x30 door and 2 8x10 windows, do I need more ventilation?
I'm ready to make the nesting boxes (12x12), but still not sure of location...some say the low, some say high...should I build them on top of each other to give the hens their pick?
Still not sure on lighting and heating..live in Ontario, Canada...will a brooding light be enough heat during the winter?? Does a brooding light serve as a heat source too? I've been told that white light hurts their eyes, so is there a special light to use for "daylight" during the winter?? I would love it if anyone could help me out...putting together pics to send along, for any other newbies that could use help...will pass on any help I can get.
Thanks in advance,
Mirmle

I'm no help as i am still in the process of asking questions before the day comes when the peeps show up
smile.png
. I think you will find that everyone on here is so helpful and intuitive when it comes to these sort of things, and will kindly share their knowledge with you. I wish you the best of luck!
big_smile.png

Quote:
Thats exactly what i did, ill let you know if it works, in a couple months when my hens start to lay.
big_smile.png

Quote:
Hi Mirmle,
We live in Alaska, so we're pretty close to similar climate, I think. We posted some pics of the coop/insulation in this thread that seems to be working for us so far.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=59172#p59172
We also talk about lighting (timers are great!) and nesting boxes. We stacked our nest boxes, and I have to admit that winter or summer, they prefer the top boxes. Not sure exactly why, just that they do. We have 16 full grown hens right now, and only the bantams use the bottom nests regularly.
I'm told that most chickens are cold-hardy, so as long as they have a place to go that's not freezing where they can warm up, then they're ok. We also place a heat lamp near their water dispenser to keep it from freezing on those -30°F mornings.
Sounds like you have plenty of ventilation, as long as it isn't drafting right on the birds.
Hope it helps! (Mrs. AKBB)
big_smile.png

Last edited:
I agree, it sounds like more than enough ventalation. I use a timer to for light. I am in CT so it is obviously not as cold, so I cant help with that one. If you are putting this much time and thought into it, Im sure your chickies are going to have a wonderful life!

Back
Top Bottom