Still time to save the other 8....help!

Sterkfarm

In the Brooder
6 Years
May 12, 2013
Milton, ON
Hi all, I'm a first time hatcher. I set 12 eggs in an old brower I have had kicking around. When I originally candled them, I felt some were further developed than others. To make a long story short, the bator temp was a bit erratic in that i had a few spikes, but I kept an eye on it and managed to keep it mostly around 101-102 for the first 19 days at 40% humidity.
This morning, (day 20) I awoke to find this pipper dead and my stupid incubator temp spiking (104) The spike also killed off the humidity. I've since corrected everything to where it ought to be, and there are 8 eggs that I didn't kill off with the spike. I did candle one to be sure and it was still alive and looking great. Yes, I opened the bator because I had to cool it down stat. And add more water. So I think I caught the spike in time. Also the digital thermometer fell over so it might have been artificially high.

So, can anyone tell from this pic why the chick died so I can avoid that problem with the next 8? to me it appears cut and dried; the goo baked on the beak and it stuck shut. There was no fluid inside the cavity that I could see, nothing major drained out into the paper towel. Besides keeping the temp steady and the humidity at 60%, anyone have a 'hail Mary' for me for the next 24 hours? Nobody else is peeping/moving just yet. There's still time to get it right! ( I hope LOL).
Here is a better pic of the dried yolk. It's not great though. I used my iphone.

Last edited:
Aah! Good point. My bad. I guess the tech term is 'goo'. It's not yolk per se; it's just not totally clear as in fresh albumen not red as in blood. You can see the color in the pic. It's probably not yolk. I wasn't thinking that through when I wrote it. I can't speak to the condition of the yolk unless I eggtopsy. but that's another issue altogether, isn't it?

*everyone, please forget I said 'yolk'*

Probably within hours. We had a surprise heat wave which is making everything haywire. I've upped humidity to almost 70; I don't want any more dry sticky goo deaths.

Okay; so here's my thoughts and I'd love to hear back....I've read that helping is okay at full term but helping early chicks is highly risky. What's the school of thought on this? Millie, did you only help on full term chicks or have you had success on early ones? This second pip was a little bloody too.

This was my first time incubating. It was almost 24 hours after it had pipped and the film ( ugh, can't remember the name) started turning brown and getting leather Like. My incubator wasn't very reliable either. I had a very hard time keeping the temp and humitity stable.

It took my eggs 43 hours to hatch from first pip to the last one that I helped. It was exhausting but worth it, now. I call them my little grand chicks. Lol

Back
Top Bottom