1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

still trying to get killer coon

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by gpwelding1, Oct 12, 2011.

1. gpwelding1

gpwelding1 Chirping

Oct 10, 2011
    upstate south carolina
    so far the coon that killed our first hen is still on the loose.i tryed trapping him,even set outside for hours with a .22 rifle at nite but still havnt got him.
    anybody have any suggestions?

2. moetrout

moetrout Songster

May 5, 2010
    Milan, MI
    Live trap with fresh bait. I like to use cat food and tuna(cheapest I can find), also table scraps like a leftover fired chicken leg. I have heard people having good success with marchmallows and dounuts.

I weigh down my trap and put stuff around the sides of it so they can't reach in a get the bait through the wire.

Whenever I dispatched on I use to wash up the trap real good to get the blood off. Then one time I didn't have much time so I dispatch the varmint and reset the trap with no washing it and no bait inside. I caught another coon the that night. So I no longer wash blood off the trap and if it gets really bloody then will forgo the bait too.

3. ozark_chickies

ozark_chickies Songster

Jun 19, 2011
    Arkansas
    I've had good luck using Special Kitty dry cat food in my live traps. I have caught several coons , and a possum with it. I caught my skunk using left over ckicken parts, from butcher day.

4. angie3881

angie3881 Songster

Don't know where you are located, but my coon dog would take care of that critter! I had one sneak by my open chicken shed door at dusk a few months ago. I let Ace go and that was the last of the coon. On the other hand, he can't run the yard because he would kill every chicken, too. He only gets to run when they are in the coop. Shine a good light in your trees, look for eyeballs and unload the .22. (Which may not be legal... [​IMG] )

5. SilkieBantams

SilkieBantams Songster

Sep 23, 2011
    Houston, TX
    I'd set a live trap and weigh it down and cover the sides of the trap that way they can't reach to the bait from the sides of the trap. Once he's caught I'd kill him.

6. darkmatter

darkmatter Songster

Jul 10, 2009
    I've had good luck with wiring a sardine can in the trap and just puncture the can, not opened.

[​IMG]

7. roxyblue

roxyblue Songster

Jul 6, 2011
    pittsburgh, PA
    I HATE RACOONS!!!!!![​IMG]
    a couple of monthe ago I was out camping and the person supposed to be taking care of the chickens left the coop door open and my sweet Lily flew the fence and got slayed by a racoon. her poor body was found four days later. Took us a month but I cought two racoons with a live trap and lots of chicken fat and skin, make it stink really bad and you'll get your self a coon.
    -RIP Lilly
    hope this helps

8. LilaCombs

LilaCombs In the Brooder

Apr 2, 2009
    Virginia
    It took me 2 months to catch our raccoon predator. He got about 30-40 chickens (lost count). We tried all kinds of bait, from sardines, to Little Debbie Snack cakes. I have never been so frustrated in my life! My chickens were precious pets but no matter how we worked on the chicken house, he always found a way in.. We finally caught him with a live trap in the last hole he dug under the chicken coop (dirt floor). We dug a hole out and put the trap in the same place. When he went through the hole, he was actually inside the live trap. It was a very small trap and he filled it completely, but he, at last, was caught. All is quite for now. Here is what the trap looked like.

[​IMG]

9. aprophet

aprophet Songster

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    Quote:they urinate when they are in the trap and another smells it and checks it out if you can find where they are using the bathroom just setting the trap near where they are is much better then just setting a trap and hoping for the best egg shells or white feathers in and around the trap help a lot this is the same reason marshmallows work " eye appeal"

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by