Still trying to understand roo behavior.

smudge

Songster
8 Years
Mar 20, 2013
Long Island, NY
So, I had a hen nearly succumb to the heat today. Found her collapsed and barely conscious. Got the girl cooled down and revived enough that she could stand.

Poor thing tries walking, and the roo walks by, and somehow sees her struggling gait as a submissive invitation to be covered. Am I interpreting this right - is he just a truly clueless thoughtless male? I would think that he thought she was unwell, he wouldn't be interested. He's young - 8 months. Will he get more chivalrous as he matures?

Firstly, this link may help with heat issues -
http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/788391/keeping-chickens-cool-in-summer-heat

Many cockerels are real jerks when they are that age. It can take until they are well over a year old before they start to behave in a more gentlemanly manner. I'd try isolating the hen in question, but within the company of the flock until she recovers. Electrolytes / vitamin supplements in all of their drinking water can help with coping with heat stress in addition to those mentioned in the link above.

Thank you! That's what I was hoping - I have seen some evidence of his behavior evolving. He's becoming less "me first" about treats, for example... but is still not chivalrous.

I was surprised that the pullet collapsed, while my 4 year old hens were handling things fine, especially since they were all free ranging.

Could be that the puller has some underlying problem, made worse by the heat.

As far as the rooster becoming "chivalrous", I think he may become more of a gentleman where breeding is concerned, but could be more likely to attack and try to drive off a hen or pullet with perceived weakness.

Back
Top Bottom