Still won't climb the ramp!

jbrianchamberli

Songster
5 Years
May 13, 2014
So my coop is elevated and opens to a run area. During the day while we're home I let them roam the yard. Around dusk I heard them inside the run area. As it gets dark they just fall asleep inside in the run. They won't go back into the house portion. I have to pick each one up, place it on the ramp and coax it in. Sometimes this really sucks because I have to get on my hands and knees to get them and well, who wants to do that? Any suggestions? They never wander from the coop too far.

How old are yours? I have some chicks that are one month old and are having a similar problem. Only a few are able to get up because the rank is a bit big. If they are young, they would eventually do it. (When we the on the light they try to get up.)

Put a light in the coop. I use solar powered lighting. Chickens are attracted to light. When it gets a bit dark the light will automatically turn on and draw them in. The light goes off during the night after it runs out of charge. No human intervention required.

You don't say how old they are. Very young ones may need a temp extension to the ground for a bit also is you ramp smooth. They need some sort of traction for their toes to hold onto. I used scrap wood stapled across the ramp about every 2 inches. Even big ones need this help.

Lastly they are in a protected run. If they're happy being outside, so be it. I also have elevated coops so they can always get some shade no matter time of day. This past week we had a real Tx turd floater come on. I looked outside and everyone of them was standing in the open in the downpour. Now I know there are some that would worry and go out there and try to at least get them under the coop but I was dry and they were already wet and that's the way that dog hunted that day. Eh, they probably needed a bath anyways.

Yes. They were in the house for almost a week because the run portion was still under construction. The ramp has steps and they're about 9 weeks old. I'll try the solar light.

Where do you feed? Place the feed and water in the coop and restrict them to the run. No foraging. Hunger and thirst are great motivators to learn for all animals.

Water and food is in the run, not the house part. Tried that and it was a disaster. Couldn't keep the water clean and well, it was just a mess.

You can also put a light on a timer in the coop to attract them inside, but it sounds like you just need to give it a bit more time. They're young, and it's all intimidating to them.

I'll take a pic tomorrow of how I feed and water in the coop. Yes it's a bit of a mess. Also we are more concerned about water quality than chickens are. In fact I don't think they even notice. Remember we're talking about animals that will indiscriminately peck at their own poo and dig through other animals poo to get to a few pieces of undigested grain or worms. Chickens have very low standards.

Back
Top Bottom