Still working on a roof, need help.

I would not go with the PVC. Its a small roof so I would probably make a roof frame out of 2x2 lumber that sits right on top, then hinge the whole thing from the bottom, on the high side. Install corrugated roof panels on top, perhaps using 6ft panels (based on 12ft cut in half) so you have nice overhangs, the overhang on the hinged side would help keep the "lid" from flipping all the way 180degrees, which will help when you close it again. May need to space it away from the coop itself a tad, so I'd just disconnect the run and add in wood spacer, like a 2x4 which will give an extra 3.5" gap. Probably only take 10-15 sticks of 2x2 to do this and a few hours and beers to assemble it. Hope this all makes sense, does in my mind :sick
Since we were having so much trouble and would have spent $60-100 in materials depending on what route we chose, we decided to buy those large dog kennels (metal frame with Hardware cloth wrapped around it), it will give the chickens a ton more space,20'x10', with room to flutter and fly underneath. I was thinking that if 4 days of rain left them stuck under the coop, imagine what they'll do all winter. So this new walk-in run will have a pitched roof, which we can reinforce with additional pvc and then tightly wrap tarp over it.

Isn't a 20x10 dog kennel going to be several thousand dollars....and still not have a proper roof?
No no its not a dog kennel. It's a metal structure that you add hardware cloth to. But it has pitched roof to it. It's only $250 on amazon. My pitched roof with tarp (see picture) on my current (small) second run is great at draining away water. This is what I'm looking for. So I'll get rid of the prefab run and the small run and just keep the coop inside the new 20' run. chickens live in a suburban backyard with a white vinyl fence all around the property. No major predators except maybe hawks. I'll attach a picture of what I'm ordering.

Attachments

• IMG_5817.jpeg
    IMG_5817.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_5818.jpeg
    IMG_5818.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 10
Oh no, why do you say that?
For access to maintain both the fence and the run/coop wall.
To be able to install anti-dig aprons on the run.
To not impede air flows.
To deal with drainage and snow build up.
What's on the other side of the fence and who owns it?

BTW not sure that run roof will hold up to much snow load.
Best have a roof rake and prop poles ready to go.

For access to maintain both the fence and the run/coop wall.
To be able to install anti-dig aprons on the run.
To not impede air flows.
To deal with drainage and snow build up.
What's on the other side of the fence and who owns it?

BTW not sure that run roof will hold up to much snow load.
Best have a roof rake and prop poles ready to go.
The township owns the other end so we did slip some hardware cloth on that side, as was done previously with the smaller run. We have a power washer in case we need to clean it. The roof will be upgraded as we see fit. For now we are covering it with tarp.

Back
Top Bottom