Still working on a roof, need help.

SamIamNam786

Songster
Aug 10, 2023
Central NJ
Good morning everyone. So the top of the run that we are trying to add an angle roof to is 60" x 50". The picture shows the run im trying to cover.
2 things : The issue is that 1/3 of the right side of the current run raises for easy cleaning. How can I keep this feature?
Second is how can we calculate the wood or amount needed to cover it at an angle? We ideally would raise it higher on the fence side and lower on the side closest to me.

Attachments

• IMG_5788.jpeg
    IMG_5788.jpeg
    412.8 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_5579.jpeg
    IMG_5579.jpeg
    837.2 KB · Views: 17
...The issue is that 1/3 of the right side of the current run raises for easy cleaning. How can I keep this feature?
Raise the roof? If you are putting posts in anyway, use taller posts.

Are you planning to set posts? There are ways to do it without setting them but if you do set them - do you know what your frost line is?

Also, most people assume posts need concrete but the concrete holds water against them so rot faster.

Second is how can we calculate the wood or amount needed to cover it at an angle?
a squared plus b squared equals c squared.

a is the depth of the run (the 50", I think) plus your overhangs.

b is how much higher you want the high side to be. Don't forget to measure from the bottom of the front overhang to the top of the back overhang rather than the height difference as the roof crosses the fence.

Or draw it on graph paper, then measure it.

Are you planning to set posts? There are ways to do it without setting them but if you do set them - do you know what your frost line is?

Also, most people assume posts need concrete but the concrete holds water against them so rot faster.

b is how much higher you want the high side to be. Don't forget to measure from the bottom of the front overhang to the top of the back overhang rather than the height difference as the roof crosses the fence.

Thanks, we were thinking I f the Pythagoreum Theorem as well, but wasn't 100% sure. I recently came across plastic holders for posts. I need to find them and see how well they'll hold up,but I'm worried that if the roof is too high then water will come through the sides.

Raising the entire thing would be so tedious at this point. I would love to do that but I'm not sure it would be a good idea. We are looking into using pvc pipes to make the roof...but I don't think my husband is up for a redo of the entire thing 😵‍💫

I would not go with the PVC. Its a small roof so I would probably make a roof frame out of 2x2 lumber that sits right on top, then hinge the whole thing from the bottom, on the high side. Install corrugated roof panels on top, perhaps using 6ft panels (based on 12ft cut in half) so you have nice overhangs, the overhang on the hinged side would help keep the "lid" from flipping all the way 180degrees, which will help when you close it again. May need to space it away from the coop itself a tad, so I'd just disconnect the run and add in wood spacer, like a 2x4 which will give an extra 3.5" gap. Probably only take 10-15 sticks of 2x2 to do this and a few hours and beers to assemble it. Hope this all makes sense, does in my mind :sick

Back
Top Bottom