stimulants in layer feed?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by fowlwoman1, Apr 4, 2008.

1. fowlwoman1

fowlwoman1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    Wenatchee, WA
    someone told me that there are stimulants in layer feed and that it makes them lay more eggs, but for fewer years. Is all this true?

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

No, it isn't true unless there is some special hi-test food out there I've never heard about. It's like some people say there are hormones in chicken feed and there arent.

3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Quote:What speckledhen said. It's the genetics that make the birds lay a lot for a short period of time. However... my production leghorns haven't missed a beat though their second year of laying, and they were from the group that came down with cocci, which usually decreases their productivity as layers. I guess in a few years I'll know how well they continue to lay. They lay their weight in eggs every 2-3 weeks.

4. dlhunicorn

dlhunicorn Human Encyclopedia

Jan 11, 2007
    Light (even artificial) is the trigger for lay.

5. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    The layer feed gives them all the nutrients they need to produce eggs. Even with a good natural diet they can be lacking small trace minerals. The commercial laying feeds gives them a complete diet of proper nutrition. Everything else we do is extra.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by