Stimulating baby goats to potty?? Help Please

redhen

Kiss My Grits...
Premium Feather Member
11 Years
May 19, 2008
Western MA
I brought home a 7 day old Nigi Dwarf bottle baby yesterday...well, she hadnt gone poop since i got her yesterday afternoon. So i got a bit worried and called the breeder. She said i had to stimulate them to go potty, like the mother goat does..(i had 1 week old Alpine and i never was told by the vet that sold me him that i had to stimulate him..he was going potty by himself fine..)..so..now i am worried here..do i just use a warm cloth, kinda like you would do for a kitten or pup? and she told me how to give her an enema...UGH! warm soapy water with a tiny dropper or something that squirts.. and vaseline... okay, so thats done..
hmm.png
she didnt go much though, maybe a tablespoon worth..do i need to do it again? and if i stimulate her to go, and she dosent go...do i need to give an enema every day? UGH!
barnie.gif
and, how come i didnt have to do this with my 2 other bottle babies?
hu.gif

Get a warm rag and wipe her bottom a little rougher than you would wash and continue to wipe until you see the goat start to strain to go potty.

This is what I had to do with a baby cow.

Thank you Jean! i hope it works..she wasnt fond of the whole enema bit...
hmm.png

Get Hammie to chase her around, maybe that will scare the poop out of her.

Sorry, that wasn't funny or helpful was it?
big_smile.png

good luck, I didn't know of such thing.

At a week old she should be going well by herself, mine is and she is a little over a week I only had to stimulate her when she was brought into the house as her momma didnt want her. I just do it for the first few days. When their tummies are full they usually go poo and pee right after they eat. Is she getting enough to eat? Nigis at 1 week are usually up to 6 oz and 4 feedings a day. Is she getting enough exercise? This gets every thing moving. I only give a enema when I know for sure they are stopped up. Usually that is a change in diet that can do this...A warm rag and water should help but they dont go as much as grown goats. Hope this helps some and she should go on her own. Mine do

Quote:
yeah, thats what i thought also! at a week old she should be going by herself...she was the runt of the litter and the skinnest one...and i am kinda having a hard time getting her to eat...shes getting 2-3 oz afeeding..i dont think its enough either..but, i cant get her to stay on the nipple..she will suck for a second and then spit it out...i even hold my hand around her mouth some to try to keep the nipple in there..but then she starts to cry and i am afraid shes gonna take it in her lungs..so i stop...try again..i fed her this am at 6 she took maybe 2-3 oz and then again at 10 am, she took like 2 oz..and then i tried at 1 pm and she took like another 2-3oz....so should i try to feed her every 2-3 hrs...or every 4 hours...so she gets hungry in between feedings...this bottle baby is definatley harder than my others...not sure whats going on with the poop thing then...what do i do if she dosent go potty by herself?
he.gif

I dont know, even on hour old baby pygmies I have never had to help them go potty.They just seem to go when they need to, have you tried to listen in on her gut sounds to see if rumen is moving, just put your ear up for a few mins to her belly and see if there is noise in there if not maybe she is stopped up....

I don't know how it is with goat kids, but with bottle lambs, if you do the "mommy tongue" thing to their little bottoms while you are feeding them, it stimulates them to suck better and eat better.

Back
Top Bottom