Stinky Bator & Candling?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by mylilchix, Apr 13, 2009.

1. mylilchix

mylilchix Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm on day 14, and I think one of my eggs is going bad. I'm getting a stinky order from the bator. I've pulled one egg that wasn't forming, but after smelling all of the eggs, I can't find the culprit. I've candled a few eggs and couldn't find one with a blood spot yet. Which leads me to my first question, can I pull all of the eggs from the bator and candle them so I can keep track or should I pull them one at a time? Other than smelling or candling are there any other ways to find the bad egg? Thanks for your help!

Sonja

2. TexasVet

TexasVet Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2008
    Willis TX
    I usually pull 6 to 8 at a time, put them in a basket, and take them to a dark room to candle them. Then I swap them for another 6 to 8.

If all the eggs are turned 1 or X-side up, I put the candled eggs back in with the 2 or O side up.

At 14 days you should be able to see some movement in the egg; if you don't, it's likely the culprit.

I just had to pull one from my batch... it didn't really smell, but it was "weeping" on one side of the egg. So look for that too.

Kathy, Bellville Texas
    www.CountryChickens.com

3. william9792

william9792 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2008
    graham, nc
    when i candle eggs i take them all out and candle them, but i have been doing this for ten years and can candle eggs fast. it takes a egg about 15 mintues to cool down. but you need to get the bad one out fast, if you can smell it it may blow anytime, so use caution! william

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by