Stinky brooder

aldolinosovaon

Chirping
Mar 20, 2021
Connecticut
I have 8 two or three week old bantam chicks sitting in a big plastic tote in my living room. And this has been my third batch of baby chicks.
Today I was cleaning and I smelt this horrible smell. The smell lingured all day until I changed out their bedding. When I put them in a separate bin without any bedding I realized the smell was coming from them. Can someone tell me why they smell so horrible and how I can fix it until they are old enough to go outside

Pictures of their living area?
If chicks are kept in stinky/filthy conditions their down absorbs the scent a bit, as well as their feet having poop on them.
Chicks are naturally stinky, so other than cleaning more, there's not much you can do.
:welcome

IMG_20210303_190120.jpg
this is an old picture and it is only half of the tote they are in. now that they are a couple weeks older they are roaming around the tote a little more so I moved the dishes to the the other side.
I clean it out every couple days and it seems to stay realatively clean. The only time I really have issues with their poop is when it is stuck to their vents

check them for parasites, maybe use a different box or brooder, or clean the brooder more.
Just some suggestions

You could always give them a warm bath in ACV and water. Then dry them off with a towel fresh out of the dryer. Apple cider Vinegar has tons of benefits. Can kill all types of bacteria that causes a stink.
Did you smell there feed? It could have drawn moister and gone bad.

You could always give them a warm bath in ACV and water. Then dry them off with a towel fresh out of the dryer. Apple cider Vinegar has tons of benefits. Can kill all types of bacteria that causes a stink.
I wouldn't give chicks a bath, with their fluff and low body fat they chill far too easily.

I wouldn't give chicks a bath, with their fluff and low body fat they chill far too easily.
That is true. I was just going on my own experience with chicks and ducklings and what I have done to keep them fresh and healthy while in a small space. I have never lost a baby with this technique. To each there own.

Don't submerge them. I should have said. You just lightly wipe them down with the warm water/avc. Like a sponge bath type cleaning.

Back
Top Bottom