Stinky Duck Eggs Question

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by LittleLakesFarm, Sep 8, 2014.

1. LittleLakesFarm

LittleLakesFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2013
    My duck eggs have been on lock down for approximately 24 hours in my home made incubator. I can now smell (from the outside) that there are 1 or 2 that are stinky. All temp. & humidity levels have maintained wonderfully throughout the entire incubation. I dare not open the lid but I have heard that the stinky/dead ones can contaminate the healthy ones or even explode. Is this true? Is it okay to leave them in there or will they contaminate the healthy ones? If I need to take them out, what do I do? I don't want to open the lid and "shrink-wrap" and kill the healthy living ones :/ ???? Help please.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2014
  2. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    Did you Lite the eggs before lock-down removing any bad eggs? Having never had to do this---but thinking what to do---- "I" would crack the incubator just enough to pull a egg out and do the smell test---not turning the egg any---place the good back in ---removing the bad eggs---I would do this now so the humidity has time to readjust. Good Luck

3. LittleLakesFarm

Jun 15, 2013
    Thanks for your help. I have about 10 eggs in there and I'm not sure which one it is. I did candle them before they went in but they are so big by that point it is difficult to tell. They weren't stinky at that time. I am afraid of the "shrink-wrap" thing happening if I open the lid. :/ Plus the lid would have to be open for awhile for me to tell which egg(s) are stinky. [​IMG]

4. PD-Riverman

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    AS I said above, I would Just Crack it enough to remove a egg---not open it completely---working quickly I would open slightly, get a egg, close as your hand comes out---smell, put it back if it is not the one and get another one---repeat. I just would not turn the egg over---be careful to keep the top as the top when replaced and repeat till you check them all. If you think you got a stinky egg now----wait two/three more days and/or it explode----you got a Mess. You will probably loose them all then.

I would be one of the first to tell you DO NOT OPEN now during lock down, BUT you got a problem that can get alot worse. Also one thing that is on your side is you have a couple more day till hatching---I would Do it Now----keeping in mind All the eggs will probably smell some, but as soon as your nose get close to the rotten one's---you will know it. Good Luck

5. LittleLakesFarm

Jun 15, 2013
    Ok I have done it. One REALLY smelled and another was just starting to go off. The rest seemed okay. Thanks for everything. I hope everyone comes out alright! [​IMG]

6. PD-Riverman

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    Good, as early as it is in lock down---I feel you did the right Thing!! I took about 60 chicks out the hatcher this morning 72 last Monday, 50 some the week before---LOL. I enjoy it!!

Oh from now own----when you light them to put into lock down, also do a smell test---it can save you a headache. Good Luck!

7. LittleLakesFarm

Jun 15, 2013
    I will definitely do the smell test before lock down next time for sure. I did it this time and there wasn't a bad smell. It takes a couple of days sometimes before they start stinking. They must have just died before lockdown :(. I have never had this happen before. According to my thermometer, neither the temp. nor the humidity levels were affected by lifting the lid so that is good. I also heard some cheeping in there too! :D Thanks for the advice. I need all the luck I can get. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by