Stinky Ducklings

eggybritches

Songster
10 Years
Sep 12, 2009
Central Florida
How long before they can go outside on their own?

I mean, not on their own, on their own, but in a predator proof pen.

Someone forgot to tell me how much stink emanates from a couple of ducks that fit in the palm of my hand.

They are currently five days old. I'm in Florida where the lows are 50 and they highs are in the 70s-80s. At least this week.

They need to have all their feathers before they go outside alone, unless you have a heat lamp set up for them.

The stinkiness is probably due to how wet their brooder gets. If you're using a regular waterer, toss it! Get a plastic milk jug with a screw-on top. Lay it on it's side and cut two holes (large enough for the ducks to get their heads into) about 1/2 way up one side. Add water to just below the holes. Now they can play in the water all they want, but it stays inside the milk carton, not on the bedding or in the feed.

Kathy, Bellville TX
www.ChickenTrackin.com

I moved mine out at 6 weeks, they were not fully feathered but it was the middle of summer and warm enough in the coop.

I cleaned the brooder 2-3 times a day at some points. I gave up with shavings in the entire brooder, instead I took a smaller box and cut a little "door" in it, and filled that with shavings, the floor of the brooder I covered with cheap mats from Walmart ($2 each) and I took those out and hosed them off, let them dry and kinda rotated them.

messy little boogers!

You had me laughing. I thought the same thing. They definetely stink. And the older they get the more they stink. But I love them.

Quote:
And I thought my carpeted brooders were my little secrets. after two days of trying to keep up with clean litter and knowing that newspaper was too slick and could cause leg problems. I went to one of the big box stores and bought the cheapest outdoor carpet I could find. Had it cut to rough fit the brooder and ended up with 3 pieces. Rotation one on the brooder floor and partly up the wall. daily remove the feed and waterer and slowly pull the rug out from under the birds (later I got smarter and attached the new piece to the old one so the birds walked off the old one and on to the new. Dirty one went outside on a fence facing the sun, Hose it off let it drip dry and the sun dry and santize it. The third bit I kept in the garage as a spare since the sun doesn't shine everyday even here in sunny NC.! Once the ducks were out of the brooder, the carpet was used as a walk off mat out side the back door since I would often step in poop or mud while doing chores. Ducks!

Quote:
gig.gif
and I read about it here on BYC over a year ago - and a few months later got my ducklings and decided carpet squares were the way to go... much easier and cheaper than anything else I've thought of.

I can't remember who I got the idea from!

I just used a milk container with water and cut a hole in it. I used wood shavings from the feed store and only had to change part of them every day

Back
Top Bottom