Stinky eggs under broody?

MM314

Hatching
May 19, 2015
I just got three fertilized eggs from a friend to put under my broody hen (no rooster here) for the first time.
The eggs were really smelly and covered in poo so I gently washed them in warm water (I know that may not have been a good idea) but at first I thought that was causing the smell and wanted them to be clean going into our coop.
My hen is sitting on them fine, but I can still smell them when open the nesting box lid.
My friend does not know how long their broody had been sitting on them before they stole these 3 away for me.
Today I took them out to try to candle them, but didn't have much success in telling their status.
Even bravely sniffed each, but each smells about the same - can't tell if one is worse than any of the others.

Should I continue to let her sit on them, or toss them?
I would hate to have a rotten one explode in the coop.

Thanks for any help!

At least one of them isn't good, or another bad egg might have broken and gotten on all of theml. It is up to you, but good hatching eggs should not stink. Sorry,

Actually one of them does have a couple little bits of different colored shell stuck to it - could be evidence of another egg breaking on them. Would that makes these unusable?
Looks like I should probably toss them...

Actually one of them does have a couple little bits of different colored shell stuck to it - could be evidence of another egg breaking on them. Would that makes these unusable?
Looks like I should probably toss them...
There is a chance they might hatch, but there is also a risk of bacteria getting into the eggs and killing any chicks. It isn't a good sign that they stink after you washed them. I don't want to decide for you, but I am wondering if you could get some new eggs from someone else? Or day old chicks to hide under the hen?

I did toss the stinky eggs, just got some new eggs from another friend. Counting down 21 days now.
Thanks for your input.

I did toss the stinky eggs, just got some new eggs from another friend. Counting down 21 days now.
Thanks for your input.
Excellent Good Luck. I never want to tell people how to do things, but what you were describing did not sound good! I hope your hatch goes great. I hope you will think to update this thread at that time! :)
wee.gif

Back
Top Bottom