Stinky sand...what to do?

roz

Chirping
9 Years
Aug 2, 2010
MA
Two days ago I put 750 lbs of sand in our 16 x 8 run ( we have 8 hens) because we had gotten so much rain their run had turned to mud. I have read all good things about sand, but it rained after the sand was put down too, and now the run is stinky. What do I do?

Last edited:
Add a nice thick layer of Oyster Shell Lime (flour). This will sweeten the earth and remove the odor. The girls will mix it up, just put down a nice thick layer. It is also a great source of calcium if they eat it. I would also use a nice thick layer of Diatomaceous earth.

So I have DE, but what is the oyster shell lime? I have regular oyster shell that they eat? I have a couple rivers running through the run bc the rain was that bad...the water table is too high (our basement is full of water too). I can put DE down on the parts that are above water, but I'm assuming it would be a waste to put it in the rivers?

Is your run covered? It needs to be covered I think. We finally made a sand run and unfortunately didn't make the overhang big enough-so when it rains there is more of a smell, because the edges get wet. When it's dry there is really no smell. I scoop it a couple times a day and I use Sweet PDZ. Good luck!
smile.png

Our run is covered. the problem is that the ground is so saturated it's coming up through the ground. Minimal rain gets into the actual run unless it's really windy. It's just wetter than usual with the hurricanes...such a bummer too because we had just moved the whole coop and run to fresh ground a couple weeks before the nasty weather hit, and then Katrina came along and ruined the fresh ground much faster than the hens would have on their own.
I know nothing about pelletized lime. Obviously it must be safe for chickens. Where would I get some? lowes or Home depot?

Last spring I put down the better part of a bale of straw to deal with mud... it worked well, and a lot of it just sank into the ground. It might be a good way to go, especially if what you're dealing with is temporary, as it sounds.

Back
Top Bottom