Stinky shipped eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Mandymooligan, Oct 19, 2011.

1. Mandymooligan

Mandymooligan Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2011
    Chino Valley, AZ
    I got shipped eggs a few days ago. I let then sit 24 hours in a cool place. Yesterday I let them sit in an egg carton in the incubator because of detached and ruptured air cells. A lot of these eggs are very porous. This morning (they have not even been in the bator 24 hours yet) something smells stinky. Can they possibly go bad and stink so fast? I have had them since Monday, today is wednesday.

2. bustermommy

bustermommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    No experience in how fast they go stinky myself, but you have no way of knowing how old they were before they were shipped. So, I would imagine that if you smell it, it is stinky.

3. TedJan92_in_Idaho

TedJan92_in_Idaho Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2011
    Cocolalla Idaho
    If they are stinking now I would say you got old eggs

4. luckypickens

luckypickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2010
    Danville, AR
    Gosh now I hope they weren't from me [​IMG] I always make sure they are no more than 4 days when shipped unless I send a bunch of extra eggs those would be no more than 7, no way should they be rotten. I date all my eggs so you will know when mine are laid, wish everyone did. If your water trays get gunk in them that would cause a stinky also. I love my genesis with the plastic tray, I bleach it out after each hatch.

5. Mandymooligan

Mandymooligan Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2011
    Chino Valley, AZ
    Quote:Honey they were not from you. Yours are doing good.

6. Melissa Rose

Melissa Rose Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2011
    South Texas
    Hi [​IMG]
    I purchased some eggs off of Ebay and when they arrived they did not have a noticeable ordor but by the next day they were stinking and starting to drip [​IMG]

7. kvmommy

kvmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2011
    does it smell like rotten eggs or sulfur? What does it smell like? I had never smelled a rotten egg before but my mom always said my dads gas smells like rotten eggs...boy was she right. Its the same smell!! You definitely can't miss it. Maybe its just one stinky egg?

8. reereechickens

reereechickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2011
    Reidsville, NC
    I would take them out and maybe open a few, with precaution. If they are nasty looking take a pic and tell the ebay seller, using ebay only communication. If they won't replace give an honest review and let ebay know also. You may not get any money back but atleast there is some form of paper trail. Proving that your eggs didn't hatch because them(the seller) is hard to prove but sending rotten eggs should NOT be tolerated in my opinion, that is an outright biohazard:sick

9. luckypickens

Aug 20, 2010
    Danville, AR
    Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. luckypickens

Aug 20, 2010
    Danville, AR
    What a relief they were not mine!!! [​IMG] I really do care about all my eggs and would never ship any I didn't think I would want to set myself!!

Last edited: Oct 19, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by