stock tank for pond? a way to filter?

klf73

Mad Scientist
14 Years
Jun 1, 2008
Maine
I was going to buy 2-300gal stock tanks for my 2 groups of ducks. I have runners and cayugas. Is there a down side to using stock tanks? I was going to put them above my garden do I don't waste the water, but 600 gals is a lot. I was hoping to somehow put a filter to keep the total refills to a minimum. Is there anything like that out there?

I use a stock tank; the low sided one made for sheep. It would take a heck of an expensive filtration system to keep duck water clean. I just fill the tank, let them play for 2-3 days and then drain the tank and let it sit dry for 4-5 days. I've got a hose on the drain and when I drain the tank, I run it around to the various trees so the water doesn't get wasted.

Also, I don't fill completely. Just deep enough to swim. Water is expensive here.

With the drain, the stock tank is a lot easier to drain than a kiddie pool. I also keep several Rubbermaid storage bins filled with water. Those get cleaned every day. They are easy to tip out and the ducks get to have their bath, although not swim.

Back
Top Bottom