Stock Tanks???

Hennyhandler

SilkieJax
10 Years
Jun 10, 2009
Cullman
I was thinking and planning on getting a stock tank for my pond. I am new to ducks, not to chickens, and I have heard that people use these and simply liked them. I got to reading and thinking... what size would be good? I have heard of people putting a brick or rock in the bottom of their ponds so their ducks can rest if needed. Is this recomended? A good idea or a precaution and something to make the owner feel better (I wholeheartedly understand. I'm the same way.) or recommended?
but not really needed?

Should the stock tank be wider than deeper? I was just concerned with them being able to dip under the water to where their butts stick up out of the water.
bun.gif
I want them to be able to do this so I thought a deeper one might be better. I know ducks don't HAVE to have a big one or one at all but for them to be happy and do what I feel they would naturally do what would you recommend?

Thanks. As I said I am new to ducks and so the questions are overflowing. Please if you can give any extra info like feed or brooder ideas let me know.
wee.gif

I found a round 8 ft. stock tank that is 2ft deep on craigslist for $50. It is a lot of water but I use a swimming pool sand filter that I found for free.
clap.gif

How many ducks will be using this? I will only have two ducks. Are you planning on burying this in the ground?

I think the bricks and stones are also to provide a kind of 'stair' so the ducks can get out when they're tired, not just to rest on.

Don't know about most people, I've seen a few pictures of 'ponds' with them and I'm planning on it. Seems more stable than a ramp, if you don't have a naturally sloping shore. I think if you do the rocks right, too, it can look nice (if you're trying to make it look like a real pond or garden waterfeature, with a liner and a border and whatnot. Probably won't change things much if you just use an old kiddie pool)

Yes, ducks really need a way to easily and safely exit the water. Rocks, bricks, concrete blocks, a ramp (that won't get too slick to be useful) are a must if you are using something like a stock tank or bucket with straight or nearly-straight sides.

There are all kinds of sizes of watering buckets, some with heaters to prevent freezing in winter. They don't need to be buried - in fact, since ducks enrich
wink.png
the water so quickly, it needs to be dumpable (new word?) without you hurting your back!

I will be using a fiberglass pond liner (a gift), about 5 feet diameter, so I will be pumping or siphoning the dirty water. I will need a stone or brick ramp, because the sides are nearly vertical. Adult ducks would likely be able to get out with some struggle, but why??? A few bricks will make it safe.

I use waterfowl feed. Right now the ducklings are on starter, soon to be slowly changing over to grower, with some oats added for fiber and to keep the protein at a good level (not too much).

Ducks need much more niacin than chickens.

They also like fresh vegetables, but there are some foods that are toxic to them. And the little ones can choke on morsels that are too large (they don't demonstrate good judgment about these things - they seem to try to eat anything).

There is a brooder topic where I posted photo's of my Brooder I (there are eleven ducklings, and they will be outgrowing this - but it was in my home and so the price was right, and it has worked very very well so far).

Try this link

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=304245&p=1

Enjoy those little critters! They are such a joy!
love.gif

make sure there is a bottom drain in the stock tank. Nothing makes a muddy mess of any body of water than a duck- not even geese.

I understand the "stair" on the outside of the pond or water to help them in or out but what about the brick or rock people put into the water so that when they are swimming they can stand on it in the water if they want to. I think some people said this was incase the ducks got tired they get stand on it and then continue to swim after a rest.

I have heard that people give brewers yeast for the extra niacin. Is there any other things to give besides this for the niacin needed?

I think the island in the stock tank is something you will need to decide on when the ducks are using it. I suspect that the breed of duck and the size of the tank will determine whether they poop out quickly - just watch them closely the first few times and go with your gut.

You can use niacin supplements - they come in various forms - just be sure to use the proper dosage. Niacin overload is probably not a good thing, either.

Keep doing right by those ducks!!!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom