"Stocking up on chickens" Covid-19 chat

I'm so upset over this issue. 😤 People don't what they are doing, and their birds are dyeing. Every single store around here soldout of chicks within hours of receiving them. It's usually the opposite and they have to sell them at reduced prices after a couple of weeks. Makes me sad
Yeah, I feel so bad for all the chickens being "panic bought"

So as many of us know there has been a giant boom in chicken buying due to covid-19, which in my opinion makes sense, but I was wondering what everyone's thoughts are on it? Do you think it'll be like people who buy bunnies and chicks for Easter and a bunch of animals become unwanted/homeless as a result once this virus is over or do you think people will enjoy chicken raising and still keep it up after this virus is over?

Most hatcheries have delays on shipmenta of supplies and have chicken orders farther out than normal, how do you feel about this? Also is there anything that is new from this that you enjoy? Like for example my pet chicken has chick packs of 20 chicks that before were exclusive to hatching eggs

All this and anything else you have thoughts on please comment below I'm interested in what everyone thoughts are

Hoping that this is not the case and that people if they are getting chickens to have to remember that it's a responsibility! My honest hope is that these individuals who order the chicks see the value in raising their own flock and do it long term. I truly believe it's important for everyone to be more self-reliant.

I am new to owning chickens and have chicks coming the second week of May due to everyone buying in abundance. We finally moved to a place with enough land to do so. : )

At the most hopefully, these individuals become members of this forum so they can educate themselves and do this long term. : )

I'm so upset over this issue. 😤 People don't what they are doing, and their birds are dyeing. Every single store around here soldout of chicks within hours of receiving them. It's usually the opposite and they have to sell them at reduced prices after a couple of weeks. Makes me sad

Oh no have you heard a lot of stories of chicks dying to new owners? I don’t doubt it if they are panic buying chicks since one could deduct that they’re making an impulse buy without doing any research. And then it’s like they forget it’s still going to be 4-6 months before they get any eggs. If they’re buying chicks due to the egg shortages in stores I hope they know they still won’t have eggs for a while and that stores may restock way before their chicks are old enough to lay.

My husband and I talked about this the other day. Some people might not realize all the responsibility that can be behind it. I'd like to hope however, that people can find some joy in raising them. Time will tell?

Oh yes definitely. I don’t doubt some will find a new favorite pet in their chickens. But as with all animals, some will realize it’s not for them. Same when people buy puppies and kittens and rabbits and all sorts of animals.

But I think the difference is that chicks require more care than a puppy. Also, they have more predators after them than a growing puppy. Things like that, so it’s sad that many chicks and chickens will be guinea pigs on what not to do when you own chickens. I mean even with people that do do their research there will be casualties. But what of the ones that don’t?

During these trying times, we hear so many good things that people are doing and it gives me hope for the human race. So, I too hope for the best.

But the other, selfish side of human nature is still there.
A friend got to experience the screaming fit of a woman who wanted to return a full grocery cart of TP that she bought a month ago. How dare they not accept her return and give her the money back for it. She does not need that much toilet paper and what is she supposed to do with it? They can just put it back on the shelf and sell it.

Pullets are sold out but Meyer hatchery has day old chicks. this is the one closest to me. Plenty of chicks at TS Stores here also. Some people will mess up and they will have dead chicks, some people will re-home them, some people will turn into a crazy chicken lady like me! I think there will be an up tick in serious chicken keepers and that is great. I think some city counsels will have to rewrite their anti chicken laws. Keep an eye out on community boards and craiglist you might get new equipment cheap or free chickens. This is an opportunity to expand the world of chickens keepers. To me it makes more sense than the whole toilet paper hoarding that was happening.

Admittedly I kind of fall in this category. Although the way I look at it, I’m not getting chickens because of COVID-19, but rather in spite of it. I’ve wanted chickens since we moved to our small acre in the country a couple years ago (and have been researching them since then) but I couldn’t quite get my husband on board until he went to the store a few times for eggs and came home empty handed. Whatever the reason is, I’m just happy for the green light! And if I can get them here quick, then he can’t change his mind and it’ll be too late 😂

It is making sourcing chickens very difficult and so I’ve decided to hatch my own. But I also refuse to budge on my standards. Ever since I started looking into chickens, I’ve wanted Australorps and virus be damned, I’m getting them! They’re sold out everywhere so I’ll have to wait until June, but it’s fine since I’m getting them for the long haul, not for tomorrow’s breakfast.

But that being said, getting chickens is a logical decision for us. We have the space and I’m already out there twice a day tending to the horse (and the amount of poo I deal with from him would put chickens to shame). Our whole goal for this property is to make it work for us and become a lot more self sufficient.

In that way, this pandemic is opening a lot of people’s eyes to the food chain and in that way it’s good. But people need to stop and think if they actually have the space, money, time, and capacity to care for them. I do also think there will be a lot of poor dead baby chicks in people’s garbages that they won’t admit to. No animal should be purchased without careful foresight and consideration. Ever.

During these trying times, we hear so many good things that people are doing and it gives me hope for the human race. So, I too hope for the best.

But the other, selfish side of human nature is still there.
A friend got to experience the screaming fit of a woman who wanted to return a full grocery cart of TP that she bought a month ago. How dare they not accept her return and give her the money back for it. She does not need that much toilet paper and what is she supposed to do with it? They can just put it back on the shelf and sell it.

Was she able to return it? I hope she wasn’t. Teach people to not panic buy.

Pullets are sold out but Meyer hatchery has day old chicks. this is the one closest to me. Plenty of chicks at TS Stores here also. Some people will mess up and they will have dead chicks, some people will re-home them, some people will turn into a crazy chicken lady like me! I think there will be an up tick in serious chicken keepers and that is great. I think some city counsels will have to rewrite their anti chicken laws. Keep an eye out on community boards and craiglist you might get new equipment cheap or free chickens. This is an opportunity to expand the world of chickens keepers. To me it makes more sense than the whole toilet paper hoarding that was happening.

Yes!! Buying chickens is so much better than TP 😆 And what a great way of looking at it!

Back
Top Bottom