"Stocking up on chickens" Covid-19 chat

Pullets are sold out but Meyer hatchery has day old chicks. this is the one closest to me. Plenty of chicks at TS Stores here also. Some people will mess up and they will have dead chicks, some people will re-home them, some people will turn into a crazy chicken lady like me! I think there will be an up tick in serious chicken keepers and that is great. I think some city counsels will have to rewrite their anti chicken laws. Keep an eye out on community boards and craiglist you might get new equipment cheap or free chickens. This is an opportunity to expand the world of chickens keepers. To me it makes more sense than the whole toilet paper hoarding that was happening.
I didn't even think about chicken laws, I really hope cities will up limits and allow chickens

The woman having the screaming fit at the store was not allowed to return the TP, but she insisted the store manager "come up and process her return". The manager showed up to the service desk and he brought 2 large stock boys with him - to "help her out with her supplies". The manager and one guy walked her out and the other stayed with the poor gal behind the counter to make sure she was OK.

With the virus, the store policy is no returns. PERIOD.

The woman having the screaming fit at the store was not allowed to return the TP, but she insisted the store manager "come up and process her return". The manager showed up to the service desk and he brought 2 large stock boys with him - to "help her out with her supplies". The manager and one guy walked her out and the other stayed with the poor gal behind the counter to make sure she was OK.

With the virus, the store policy is no returns. PERIOD.
Yeah, I personally agree with it, who knows the supplies could be infected with COVID 19 and also discourages people to over stock on stuff (buying most or all of a stock and hoarding is illegal even when it's not a pandemic because then other people can't get supplies like how it is now) and as soon as stores started no return polices on to panic buying stopped or at least it saw a giant slow down

Yeah, I personally agree with it, who knows the supplies could be infected with COVID 19 and also discourages people to over stock on stuff (buying most or all of a stock and hoarding is illegal even when it's not a pandemic because then other people can't get supplies like how it is now) and as soon as stores started no return polices on to panic buying stopped or at least it saw a giant slow down

Yes, I think it was a good decision not to allow them to return it. Because it will encourage other customers to think before buying warehouse amount of stuff.

Has there been data on how many chicks are being bought by first time chicken owners? I’m curious if chicks are being bought out by just a small handful buying a lot of chicks at once OR if it’s a bunch of new customers (chicken owners) buying just a small handful each.

I don't know how they could track whether it is a new chicken owner or not. Maybe track how many crappy, pre-fab "coops" are being bought.

Hey hey we bought one of those when we were new 🤣 I so regret that decision and we realized it was so much cheaper to make our own, but that is actually a perfect way to check how many new chicken owners there were this spring 😂

I don't know how they could track whether it is a new chicken owner or not. Maybe track how many crappy, pre-fab "coops" are being bought.
Honestly so true, I got those coops, currently using one from innovation pet which unlike the other small premade coops it actually is good quality and has survived the 60+ mph wind storms I get (it was way to expensive but you know it comfortably holds my seven chickens 5 of which are bantams) but even this "good quality" Coop isn't the best and I'm currently in construction of a big coop and my first thought when I started was "hey I'm not a newbie any more" Lol

I doubt this actually has anything to do with panic buying but I've been keeping track of my pet chicken Sebastopol availability and they've been backed up until may 11th and all of a sudden they just got availability until then (probably cause people cancelling orders) and even though this probably isn't the case I can't help but imagine people were panic buying and then someone told them "hey geese aren't like chickens, they lay seasonally and they barely give eggs" And then them being like "what??? I can't get giant eggs daily" And cancelling their orders, this probably isn't the case but it's funny to think lol

Back
Top Bottom