Stolen egg stash

WWFKD

In the Brooder
Jul 30, 2019
Hubby and I were chatting about repairs to our barn and if he should rent scaffolding or a cherry picker to do the work and suddenly he says "there are eggs in the broken header!" And sure enough, there are. He put up a ladder for me to look closer and it turns out one of them is a marked egg that was stolen from under a broody hen about 6 weeks ago.
My question is, what the heck snatched eggs from under a hen, got out of the run, ran 100 feet, climbed a three story barn, and stuck two eggs in the header?!?!

We did recently wipe out a rat colony that had started to get settled under the chickens barn but I hadn't seen any signs they were at all interested in the big barn.
There are squirrels and hawks and crows (but I don't ever see the crows in the run and don't think they can fit through the fencing roof). There's even a fox or two but I don't think they'd steal eggs and stash them.
MVIMG_20200527_154805.jpg
MVIMG_20200527_154815.jpg

Maybe squirrels? No idea how a squirrel would climb up there holding an egg...
I don't know either, but a squirrel picked up my entire mousetrap (a live capture one, so it was big) and ran off with it. We found it in the gutter weeks later. Still have no idea how he managed to climb up with it, maybe in his mouth? It was as big as he was, though.

:welcome :frow even though you've been a member for awhile. I noticed this was your first post. If you have a game camera and maybe whatever it is, is still getting in there and then you may know what it is. Just a suggestion. I'm always curious. Good luck...

:welcome :frow even though you've been a member for awhile. I noticed this was your first post. If you have a game camera and maybe whatever it is, is still getting in there and then you may know what it is. Just a suggestion. I'm always curious. Good luck...
Oooooh! A game camera would be fun!

Thank you! I've had chickens for 3 years but this is the first time I've had something happen that wasn't already discussed in another thread.

I don't have one but we tried to order some a few weeks back to help insure we were wiping out the rats, they were out of stock and on months long delays. I'll look again, too many weird things happen with these chickens, I need nighttime eyes to figure this nutty stuff out!!

Thanks for the recommendation! I may just go ahead and buy one, too! I am moving to the foothills out here, and I will be surrounded by woods. It'll be a huge help knowing which predators I need to protect against.

Back
Top Bottom