Stone or masonry coop?

I have a stone coop. I find that the chickens can get very cold though. I also have bother cleaning it out as there is only a door for me and a door for the chickens. I made my door to small. Make sure your door is better than mine!! :) ;). I am hoping to get a new coop some time and connect it to the stone one so they can chose where they would like to stay depending on the temperature. :)

Last edited:
This cost me about $150 US dollars on sale. All I had to was attach a rope to the bottom front, and put some tractor wheels extending off the rear, so I would be able to lift the front and move it easily. The lid lifts up in the back to access the nesting/roosting area to clean out pine shavings (once a week.) I do use a hose to wash the ramp off before I move the coop (daily), and then move the tractor over one width a day for a completely fresh coop!. Very easy maintenance.

I put a rod through the wires, and hung my heating lamp on it near the opening to the nesting area if the temp was predicted to be dropping below 60 at night when they were 7 weeks old, and already fully feathered. I put a large thermometer in the back so I could look in to see what the temperature was inside the nesting area and it maintained nicely at 70 degrees. You might want to consider building something like that so it will be easier to clean, and so your chicks stay warm enough. From what I've read, they should be at least 6 weeks old with feathers before you move them outside. I am a first time chicken owner, but if the chickens need heat in the winter, I think this will still work, although I think I may need to shovel an area when I want to move the coop....I'm thinking in the winter... I probably won't want to move the coop on a daily basis (LOL)

Back
Top Bottom