stop eggs from freezing

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by 10ducks, Dec 6, 2010.

1. 10ducks

10ducks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2009
    Dexter, Michigan
    Anybody else have trouble with eggs freezing? I leave for work before 5 am, so I don't gather them in the morning. If I can get my son to gather them before he's off to school at 8 am, they aren't frozen, but he isn't reliable about getting them. I got some corn cob bedding at the feed store yesterday. I took 2 large shallow rubber pans (about 5 inches deep and 18 inches in diameter), dug holes in the wood pellets, and buried the bowls. Then filled them up with the cord cob bedding. (I put them in the corners where most of the ducks lay their eggs.) Today it was 20 - 25 degrees, and when I got home I found several eggs buried in the bowls, and they weren't frozen. So I'm hoping this will work. Other ideas?

2. sianara

sianara Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2007
    Central MA
    Sounds good to me! In fact, when I came home from work tonight I found four duck eggs buried deep in the wood shavings inside their nest house and they were fine even though the shavings appeared to be wearing down some to me. Time to dump out the old and put a new batch of shavings in. They usually last a few weeks before I have to change it.

If they lay them on the ground in the run, those of course do freeze [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 6, 2010
  3. treldib

treldib Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2010
    Southern California
    Heated Coop! [​IMG]

4. BirdBrain

BirdBrain Prefers Frozen Tail Feathers

May 7, 2007
    Alaska
    Money talks. I don't know how many ducks you have, but you could tell him he gets x amount per egg he collects before going to school. If you find frozen eggs, then he owes you x amount...about 4 times what he would get for collecting.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by