Stop my roo from mating

Bufforpintonfamily

In the Brooder
Jan 22, 2022
So i have had my chickens for about 6 months and recently are welsumer started laying. When i opened the egg i noticed it was fertile and it had some blood so i tossed it. I like having a roo to protect the chickens but can i stop them from mating?

You can't stop a rooster from mating its their instincts, sorry. Blood spots are normal in even un fertilized eggs it just happens sometimes. Was it developing or just a blood spot?
The egg was just hatched and i went to cook it and it had started day 1 development and had some blood my, buffs have never had one bloody egg.

Three ways to stop mating.

1) Don't have Roos

2) Keep the Roo in a seperate house/run. Doesn't help with the limited predator protection Roos are sometimes claimed to provide, obviously.

3) Cull the Roo. (see 1, above).

Bloodspots happen. Essentially all my eggs are fertile - I have a large, free ranging flock, with a number of roos (and hatch my own mutts). Even so, blood spots are rare. and you can avoid development of fertilized eggs by collecting often, wash clean, and get them under refrigeration promptly.

Three ways to stop mating.

1) Don't have Roos

2) Keep the Roo in a seperate house/run. Doesn't help with the limited predator protection Roos are sometimes claimed to provide, obviously.

3) Cull the Roo. (see 1, above).

Bloodspots happen. Essentially all my eggs are fertile - I have a large, free ranging flock, with a number of roos (and hatch my own mutts). Even so, blood spots are rare. and you can avoid development of fertilized eggs by collecting often, wash clean, and get them under refrigeration promptly.
Ahh i see, i was thinking of hatching them but i dont want roosters and i dont know of a way to tell the difference when its an egg. Thank you for the info i might just have to make a second coop or refrigerate the eggs.

If the egg had just been laid (I’m guessing that’s what you meant by “just been hatched”) it was not developing. Eggs do not start developing until they have been incubated under the right conditions. Your egg may have had a “meat spot” in it. Those also happen in unfertilized eggs. You just don’t see that in your store bought eggs because they’re candled and imperfect eggs are not sold.

Last edited:
Ahh i see, i was thinking of hatching them but i dont want roosters and i dont know of a way to tell the difference when its an egg. Thank you for the info i might just have to make a second coop or refrigerate the eggs.
If you don’t want roosters, don’t hatch any eggs. If you’re going to pen your rooster separately, why not just find him a new home where he can be happy?

If the egg had just been laid (I’m guessing that’s what you meant by “just been hatched” it was not developing. Eggs do not start developing until they have been incubated under the right conditions. Your egg may have had a “meat spot” in it. Those also happen in unfertilized eggs. You just don’t see that in your store bought eggs because they’re candled and imperfect eggs are not sold.
Ok yeah I believe the egg was under the chicken for 10 minutes before I realized it had laid.

If you don’t want roosters, don’t hatch any eggs. If you’re going to pen your rooster separately, why not just find him a new home where he can be happy?
Yeah honestly think im going to keep him with my flock. Hes a good roo but i dont wanna get rid of him cause my hens are attached i just didn’t know if i could stop fertile eggs.

Back
Top Bottom