Stop my roo from mating

Exactly!
...and if you don't want to hatch out eggs, no reason to have a male, IMO.
But, but, but... My hens seem so much calmer and happier when they have a rooster! And on more than one occasion a rooster has alerted the flock to danger and hustled them to safety; one time the second rooster bringing up the rear sacrificed himself for them. At least, I know *I* feel better having a rooster or two on guard with the flock.

But, but, but... My hens seem so much calmer and happier when they have a rooster! And on more than one occasion a rooster has alerted the flock to danger and hustled them to safety; one time the second rooster bringing up the rear sacrificed himself for them. At least, I know *I* feel better having a rooster or two on guard with the flock.
Why I said "IMO".
But this OP doesn't seem comfortable with having a male bird.

That probably depends a lot on the individual rooster. :)
For Sure!

So i have had my chickens for about 6 months and recently are welsumer started laying. When i opened the egg i noticed it was fertile and it had some blood so i tossed it. I like having a roo to protect the chickens but can i stop them from mating?
Blood spots are perfectly normal. The spot forms when the egg begins to develop (even if not futile).., Make sure you collect the eggs every day and refrigerate them if you don’t want any spots. But remember, blood spots are normal and has nothing to do with the roo..,

That is just an old wives tale, no actual facts to back it up.
I hate to inform you, but from many of us who have observed this phenomenon in our fertile chickens because we have a roo in the flock, Jac is completely correct. I can tell which hen is not being mated, based on cracking open the eggs, because I had only one rooster, and 20 hens... he couldn't service them all, and he had his favorites he liked to mate with. The 'lone' rooster didn't last long, as I had placed 24 eggs from my flock in my incubator, and 19 of them hatched, and he had a son in that batch of eggs. I wouldn't have bothered to place any eggs in the incubator had I not seen the evidence of bullseye in the yolks of the eggs I had cracked open. This was when he came of age and I had seen him mating with the hens.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom