STOP SETTING!

BantyHugger

Songster
11 Years
May 23, 2008
Ponder
Ok, as many of you know i raise ducks. This year we had 2 successful mothers. 1 hatched 10 and the other hatched 2. These blessed events happened almost exactly 1 month ago.

Now, for no reason, the 10 baby duck is on ANOTHER NEST. It averages about 95 degrees outside. I'm worried about all the energy this setting is going to take out of her. The other mother is laying again and sits on the eggs til about 10 with her babies. Is this normal?
And finally, I have a duck who was setting. All her eggs were rotten so we threw them away. She has continued to sit. She is now at 6 weeks, and under weight. How can i stop the setting?

Rooster chicks
smile.png

Whenever my hens become broody I've found that the best way to get them to stop is to give them what they want: some form of family.

If you are lucky enough to have a hatchery within driving distance then pick up some of their extra roosters, meat birds, or something cheap you wanted to play around with. Slip them under at night and let her fuss over them the next day. Usually after a few days of mohterhood you can take the chicks away (if you want) and she'll go back to laying since she's come to the conclusion that her eggs did hatch, her offspring were lost and she has to try again.

If you can't pull that off then try ice cubes or putting her in an elevated cage with a wire floor. _Very_ few mothers are dedicated enough to sit on a nest of ice cubes - even in the sweltering heat. The wire bottom also helps discourage them since there's a draft where one shouldn't be.

Back
Top Bottom