Stop Smoking Thread.......

I quit almost 2 years ago. I tore the lining of my lung from coughing so hard and had the whole cancer scare while waiting for a diagnosis. Looking at my kids wondering if I had lung cancer was the worst feeling I have ever had. I miss the actual act of smoking, not the cigarettes. They smell awful and make me sick now. When I was quitting I did a few things. When I smoked I always drank Diet Pepsi and smoked together. When I quit, I changed drinks to Coke Zero because the connection was too strong for me. I also started eating Dill pickle sunflower seeds. After the 2 weeks of sunflower seeds they are as gross to me as the cigarettes. I also had to find something to do when I had the urge to smoke. I started quilting and when I felt the urge to smoke I would go obsess over sewing. It was tough, but you can do it. My husband quit dipping too after 20+ years. He joined a site called KillTheCan.org which was a great support system for them. Maybe you can find the same type of site for smoking. Good luck to you, you can do it!

I quit 10 years ago. We had just adopted a baby and was so overjoyed at our blessings. I went out on the back porch to smoke and thought "duh!" I was thinking about my son and how we'll do this and that and realized I never wanted him to have a memory of me with a ciggarette. If I have more than 2 glasses of wine I will still crave the darn things but when it gets close-yuk!
Never look back
ETA:
Nobody ever regrets quitting...
I quit cold turkey

Last edited:
I quit several years ago...it was a choice...I was hacking and wheezing...I smelled terrible and the darn things owned me...I would almost have a panic attack if I was running low...the ultimate choice was breathe or die...and being owned and stinky had just become repulsive...I quit cold turkey, BUT, when I get very cold or very tired, I still want one...I think ultimately you just have to decide who you are and how you are going to be and what controls your behavior...I told the Marlboro man to take a hike...good luck in your efforts...it is worth it...breathing is good...

I went to one of those hypnosis sessions where they try to sell you a bunch of supplements and crap. I DID quit for 2 years, and got something from GNC to help me sleep. It was like $10 instead of their $50 a bottle stuff. Anyway, after all that time I was still "weepy". My husband told me to "just smoke already!"

Next time I try I will have to get anti-depressants or something. That part of my brain just never recovered from the nicotine addiction. I got a scrip for Chantix- but it's $95, and I'm afraid I'll be one of those people that gets suicidal or something
tongue.png

I'd like to hear some more results of people that have gone the Chantix route.

Quote:
Chantix has some really horrible side effects!

You should try the e-cig, you're still getting the nicotine but not all the other junk, and it lets you slowly "step-down" without the stinky smell etc..
Its not like the patch where you have a steady dose all day, with the e-cig you can get the big nicotine hit when you need it most. The same way you would if you were smoking.

Quote:
Chantix has some really horrible side effects!

You should try the e-cig, you're still getting the nicotine but not all the other junk, and it lets you slowly "step-down" without the stinky smell etc..
Its not like the patch where you have a steady dose all day, with the e-cig you can get the big nicotine hit when you need it most. The same way you would if you were smoking.

I'm going to look into it. Does it cost less than smoking? Say a pack a day?

Quote:
I guess it depends how long you use them - a starter kit is around $50-$60 and then you can buy pre-filled cartridges or your own liquid to re-fill, the prefilled cost more in the long run.
I guess you would break even after a month or so, as long as you don't go too nuts on the goodies, there are different flavored liquids, as much as I thought I'd HATE that, turns out I LOVED it (my fav flavor was Raspberry - go figure) I first tried tobacco flavored liquid, and it was ok, but the other flavors were much better.
gig.gif

I started with the starter kit, and bought extra batteries so I could go longer without charging, you can buy a USB kit thing as well where you can plug it into the computer.
I won a few competitions on a forum, won two more kits, some liquid etc.

thumbsup.gif
I think altogether I spent around $300 (I bought liquid in bulk from CHina, as well as buying a boat load of atomizers) At this point I would have spent over $1000 on cigarettes. (I smoked a pack a day)

Last edited:
Wow, thank you all for the help and support. I'm sorry I've been off the thread, had to work today. My biggest problem is the habit part of it, breaking those times I look forward to smoking, talking on the phone, after a meal, when I do chores ect. I don't smoke in my house my husband hates my smoking anyway, plus I don't want my kids to have to smell it. I smoke either outside or in the garage, it really stinks in the winter!! Anyway, I need to set a date to quit, then stick to it. Having a supportive group to talk to about it will be wonderful, I hope you all stick around. I'm thinking about this weekend....Sunday.

Thanks everybody again for your stories of success and your ideas to stop, I really appreciate it!!

Shari

I quit 3-21-08, so I'm at 1 1/2 years, DH still smokes so it's a constant reminder to me! Once you get past the 1st week then you reach a month then you it gets soo much easier and you don't think about it hourly or after you eat or 1st thing in the morning. New habits develop and it does get easier! They say if you can make it for 2years your likelyhood of restarting has diminished substantially! The urge to smoke only lasts for a few minutes so each time you get the urge remember it will pass! I will still get the urge, it comes alot less frequently and usually is spurred by something but it too passes! I did quit cold turkey, it's not for everyone though so find out what will work best for you! Keep us posted!

Back
Top Bottom