Stop turning at beginning or end of Day 18?

Ewe Mama2

Songster
10 Years
Mar 26, 2009
Northeastern Ohio
OK, this is a type A question - I know I'm supposed to stop turning the eggs on Day 18, but is it at the end of Day 18, or from the beginning og Day 18 onward that I no longer turn?

I am having an incredible time watching my 13 babies incubate (candling is way too much fun!), but I don't want to screw up in the home stretch!

Thanks in advance!

I do mine at the end and sometimes the beginning of 19. I have done it earlier and had good results too. I just do it a little later for humidity sake.

I stop turning at the end of day 17
and do not turn at all on day 18 and
have had 100% hatch rate at times
usually 90 to95% on none shipped
eggs.

Doesn't matter. I think day 18 is a buffer anyway. Most won't pip the membrane until day 20. Hens turn the eggs up until hatch so I don't think they really need to be still to position but the humidity does have to stay high to keep the membrane soft. The only risk I see to stopping later on day 18 or early day 19 is if your temps have been off and they hatch a day or 2 early. The membrane may be too dry and tough for them to pip. If they go on time then I haven't seen any proof it will negatively impact them to stop turning later. I also have stopped turning on day 17 when I had to and my hatch rates were at least the same if not higher.

I usually take out the turner when I get time on day 18.I do not think it makes a big difference.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom