Stop Using Metal Dishes Now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kovalciks Chickens

Songster
10 Years
Aug 25, 2009
Richmond, Michigan
My Jap offspring were eating out of empty tin cans. They then went blind because of it. A study was done in the University of Mi, or Mi State, after a lady's birds kept dying. They found that the metal was entering into the birds systems and were killing them. SO STOP USING METAL DISHES.

Chicken little... the sky is falling... run run

I think you should really research a bit more before spreading posts like that around.
you aren't doing anyone any service, including yourself.

I am using a metal feeder made in the 40s or 50s. Haven't seen a chicken dy from it yet.

Quote:
Please provide scientific verification. Panic posts are rarely verifiable, can you verify your info? What type of metal? Where's the link to the study? What's your source of data?

Thank you!
smile.png

I doubt that galvanized feeders and waterers harm your chickens since they have been used as long as I can remember. Also, last I looked canned food was still packed in metal cans. If you've got a study from some accredited Michigan university, post a link to it.

We use Galvanized also. Some are new and some may be as old as 20 years or so. No issues for our birds.

Edited to add that I did a quick search for the study that you mentioned and had no luck using Michigan Study, Chickens, Blind, Metal Feeders, Galvanized Feeders or Tin Feeders.

Perhaps you could find more information?

Last edited:
Okay Im talking any metal such as aluminium, steel, a common one is tuna cans. I have read this a few times over the internet and always figured my chickens were fine. Then I lost 2 roos to these metal dishes. Im sure galvinized wont be as bad, but they may still be consuming the small microscopic metal flakes that enter into their system. And by the way I have read this in 3 different sites and I cant find them, but Ill keep looking.

How do you know a tin can made your chicken go blind?

One of the most common causes of blindness in chicks 5+ weeks is Mareks. Generally it also results in death. Were these "your Jap offspring" as in those you bred and hatched yourself? Did you vaccinate them at day one?

Another cause of blindness in chickens of all ages is NH3 toxicity. How well ventilated is your coop? How clean is your run?

And, as already pointed out, if you've ruled out the above and come to a concrete conclusion that it was in fact metal "cans" that were at fault for the blindness and deaths and you'd like to be taken seriously provide credible sources for the information you claim to be true.
wink.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom