Stop Vent Pecking?

They pop off easily, sometimes accidentally, in fact. They are just set in to the nostrils with a little tension. They don't appear to hurt at all. I applied them by bending them out with my fingers. I had almost no problems applying them. I did discover one of my hens has a defect (?) to her nostrils and they are much smaller than anyone else's. I couldn't put them on her without impeding her airway. She had to go without the peepers because it seemed to genuinely bother her. Hopefully she is not one of the pickers.

Tammye- I am about an hour away from you. I live outside of Keene, close enough to pay the high taxes, but far enough to get no services for my buck.
roll.png

I think that I found the pecker...unfortunatelyl she is my most beautiful and best layer! I separated her from the rest of the hens. How long should it before the feathers on the victim hens grow back? I have a couple with very bald vents!

CMV--I am from Westmoreland, NH! Funny how small the world is sometimes...
I am having the same problem with my chickens and your posts have helped so much! We just ordered the peepers. I hope they get here soon. Our sweetest girl is the one being attacked, but it is only by one of our chickens. I think we will take her (the head of the pecking order) out until they get here.
Thank you for your help so much!!!

This is the most severe form of canabolism.dangerous in young laying pullets.generally occurs in pullet flocks that are approaching peak egg production.the vent or abdomen below is the target area for pecking.in extreme cases vent pecking related to prolapse of the cloaca,it would lead to complete evisceration of the affected the bird.imbalance if sex hormones,genetic predisposition, too early sexual maturity,laying of unusual eggs(double yolk), obesity at the point of lay,too bright light,poor management practices can be the factors responsible for vent pecking.debeaking is the best choice to prevent canabolism(simple operation).birds should be given sufficient space for perching.vent pecking is a sign of stress.flock must be even in size and age.more prominent in deep litter system than cage system.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom