1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

stopped laying after first moult

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by snvaugh, Apr 30, 2008.

1. snvaugh

snvaugh New Egg

Mar 6, 2008
    Long Island
    my hen is l yr old and had her first moult. She hasn't laid in about 2 months how much longer will she not lay?

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

She should start any time now. Moulting and growing feathers back is alot of work. Usually to speed up the moulting process, I feed the birds a layer supplement which is a 20% protein feed.

3. SeaChick

SeaChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2007
    Southern Maine
    I'm wondering this, too.

We adopted a young hen who'd just started her moult last fall. She layed a few times then quit and had a very loooooong, protracted moult ALL WINTER LONG. She seems to have finished a few weeks ago, but still no eggs. It has been probably 5 months since she laid anything. She seems perfectly fine and her comb looks normal.
    WHAT IS UP WITH THIS????!!!!???? I am getting very frustrated!

Thanks

4. wynedot55

wynedot55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    some hens go into a heavy molt.it might take another month or so for her to start laying.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by