Stopped laying eggs??

RustiK

Songster
6 Years
Aug 7, 2013
Gunning, nsw
Hi fellow chicken lovers, I have a 9 month old Isa brown chicken who is with a rooster and two other hens. She started laying at 6 months, some of the eggs had calcium build up but on the whole she was laying nearly every day.

About two weeks she just stopped laying and hasn’t layed since.

She gets a mix of pellets, scratch mix and leftovers. No new birds or stresses.

The weather over here (Australia) has been rather hot over 40 degrees/ 104 f lately but the other girls are all laying fine just not her.

Inspection she has no mites, fleas or parasites just a small bumble foot on one foot (very tiny) which I’ll take care of ASAP.

Anyone got any ideas? Thanks
55232508-0BB0-4BAC-8917-46EE1C15EEE0.jpeg

Attachments

• 4E010A5F-4F65-4D4C-B4F9-28D6BF125340.jpeg
    4E010A5F-4F65-4D4C-B4F9-28D6BF125340.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 0
Some birds handle the heat better than others.
Any chance she's 'hiding' them?

Might want to.....
..... give a dose of Sav-a-Chick electrolytes/vitamins about once a week during heat waves.
It really seems to help....started this after they saved a heat stroked hen once.
Can mix up a smaller amount, just wrap the packet tight and store in a dry cool place.
Always have plain water available too.
full

BIG(9x14x2") chunks of ice last all day for wading, sitting, and sipping.
Much more useful to the chickens than frozen foods and treats.
full

Make space in your freezer!
full

Just wanted to let you know that I am in Australia (VIC) too and one of my buff orphingtons are doing the same thing. No eggs for the past 6 days now, but my other girl is laying consistently. She is more heavily feathered than her sister though, so I'm hoping it's just the heat that's stressing her out slightly.

I'm assuming that if their general behaviors (eating, walking, pooping) are the same, then there's no reason to be too concerned. Poor things are so hot in Australia :( at 40 degrees, I just bring them inside in their brooding cage cause it's just too hot.

P.S Hope you're OK up there far from the bush fires!

I thought the heat but wasn’t sure. I will try all of the above and see how she goes. Was wondering if Bush fire smoke would have any effect on them as we’ve been covered in a thick smoke for weeks. Thanks all for the help I’ll let you know how we go.

thanks waywind we are good 50kms from any big fires and hopefully it stays that way. Another week of 40+ days I’m not too sure thou. We’ve got it all packed just in case we need to go.

Back
Top Bottom