Stopped laying in boxes

finestservice

In the Brooder
6 Years
Oct 5, 2013
My hens have been laying in there boxes since they started laying eggs 3 months ago. I found the first egg out in the run and everyone since has been in the boxes I have 5 that are laying right now. I started using the deep litter method about a week ago and as soon as I did they started digging nests in corners of the coop and all started laying in the corners. I have tried putting plastic eggs in the boxes but no luck I have to dig through shavings to look for eggs.

Where / what kind of nesting boxes do you have in the coop? Can you make the boxes more attractive to them and the corners less, maybe put something (wire, brick?) down in the corners for now until they are using the boxes again? How is the lighting in the coop?

It sounds like your hens don't like this method.If there is any lighting or sun directing on the nest boxes,it could be the problem.
If I remember correctly I helped you before saying,hens like a nice shadey/dark spot to lay eggs in,well if I did
i'll repeat what I said then

Good luck,and hopefully your birds will lay in your nest boxes!

-ThePRfan

thanks PR, Deep litter didn't work for my setup boxes are nice and dark they started laying back in boxes last year after I stopped deep litter

Back
Top Bottom