Stopped laying... Ugh

Pics
so this is weird. My Easter Egger stopped laying what, 3 weeks ago maybe? She's perfectly normal, hangs out with the rest of the gals, eats, drinks, isn't molting ... started laying today - her egg is now white, not light blue. Thoughts, oh wise chicken peeps???

so this is weird. My Easter Egger stopped laying what, 3 weeks ago maybe? She's perfectly normal, hangs out with the rest of the gals, eats, drinks, isn't molting ... started laying today - her egg is now white, not light blue. Thoughts, oh wise chicken peeps???
There could be many reasons for this. Chickens stop laying as many eggs as they get older and eventually stop, sometimes as early as 2 years old (however, we still have a couple Easter Eggers who are 6 and still lay one every day). The eggs from our older hens have also lost their color, but the hens (and the eggs) seem no worse for it.
She could be too hot, not getting enough protein, broody, or just throwing a little chicken temper tantrum.
A couple of our hens have gone through similar things, and all have been alright afterwards. I'm afraid that's all I have to offer, I hope she is alright and it all works out! 😉

There could be many reasons for this. Chickens stop laying as many eggs as they get older and eventually stop, sometimes as early as 2 years old (however, we still have a couple Easter Eggers who are 6 and still lay one every day). The eggs from our older hens have also lost their color, but the hens (and the eggs) seem no worse for it.
She could be too hot, not getting enough protein, broody, or just throwing a little chicken temper tantrum.
A couple of our hens have gone through similar things, and all have been alright afterwards. I'm afraid that's all I have to offer, I hope she is alright and it all works out! 😉
thank you for your insight. she's pretty young to call it quits I think -- she's only 14 months old.

Something very funky about an EE's egg going from blue to white since their entire shell is blue rather than having a color coating over a white shell like brown layers.

Something very funky about an EE's egg going from blue to white since their entire shell is blue rather than having a color coating over a white shell like brown layers.
I agree! And today one of my marans has an open wound on her breast and the Easter egger had blood and bits in her beak never had any problems with fighting before they have room to spare to keep everyone happy not sure what to do for the girl who is hurt she’s the most aloof of the flock next to the EE

Did they ever pick up laying again? Ours are back to normal, but the leghorn is hiding eggs SOMEWHERE. She does the I LAID AN EGG cackle, I caught the other hens fighting over a white eggshell up by the house (already smushed), but I CANNOT find the dozen or so eggs she's laid!
Last time, a hen was sneaking into the front yard, laying in the carport, then hopping the fence. 43 eggs in that clutch.

Back
Top Bottom