stopped laying

So glad you responded. I too have seen more then a usual amount of feathers lately. Never had them molt before and thought that was just a fall thing. Now more and more of what has been happening is making sense. Still no excuse for the original she-devil injuring the others and having to seperate the 2 Plymouth Rocks from the Buffs. But the feathers, no eggs.......makes sense now. How long does this last?

I'm getting ready to go out and put my girls on the roost. Hopefully they will remember and get the hang of it again. Thanks!
big_smile.png

You know, I don't remember how long it lasted. The two girls last January had a decent mini-molt, mostly from their necks and butts. I remember the feathers looking so odd as they came back in. I'm guessing it was 6 - 8 weeks. Now I wish I'd kept track on a calendar. Live and learn, huh?

My girl that has just quit laying appears to be molting by the number of her feathers I'm finding BUT I'm not seeing any obvious molt spots on her yet. No bald places. She's my only Easter Egger so both her feathers and her eggs are very distinctive. She's initially laid off eating for a few days when she first quit laying and wasn't interacting so I began to worry about her but then her appetite picked up and she's now acting fine - just losing feathers and not laying.

Last year I did a search on "January Molt" and found it's not uncommon. I hope that's what both of our girls are doing right now!

You know, I don't remember how long it lasted. The two girls last January had a decent mini-molt, mostly from their necks and butts. I remember the feathers looking so odd as they came back in. I'm guessing it was 6 - 8 weeks. Now I wish I'd kept track on a calendar. Live and learn, huh?

My girl that has just quit laying appears to be molting by the number of her feathers I'm finding BUT I'm not seeing any obvious molt spots on her yet. No bald places. She's my only Easter Egger so both her feathers and her eggs are very distinctive. She's initially laid off eating for a few days when she first quit laying and wasn't interacting so I began to worry about her but then her appetite picked up and she's now acting fine - just losing feathers and not laying. 

Last year I did a search on "January Molt" and found it's not uncommon. I hope that's what both of our girls are doing right now! 

I too didn't see any bare spots or thin spots on the girls until I picked them up and pushed the back & wing feather areas around. There were definately feathers missing, but the spots were hidden by other bigger feathers. No eggs yet so I am leaning toward the molt like you said. It was probably coincidience that we had to seperate the two nasty birds from the 3 nice ones at the time this molt thing started.

Especially with the cold headed back our way for this week... I hope she learned from your efforts last night.

Still needed to push 2 Buffs out of the nesting boxes and put the one on the roost tonight.....again. The 2 other chickens who are residing in Cluckatraz have been there for 3 weeks. I am afraid to reintroduce them to the others. The one was so mean and actually attacked 2 of the Buffs so bad, they had good size wounds on their back areas. They are completely healed now, but this molt thing has started up on the good girls. If need be, I will give the nasty girls to a good home(s), and just get two more Buff Orpingtons. They are the sweetest and most docile little creatures! What do you think?

Buff Orpington's are beautiful and such hardy birds. For the last 2 years, I've had a buff hatch out eggs... I'm hoping that one goes broody again this year.

The Cluckatraz chickens might be ok if you introduce them again... they will be at the bottom of the pecking order, but I would wait until your good ones have complete their molt. What breed are you Cluckatraz chickens?

Buff Orpington's are beautiful and such hardy birds.  For the last 2 years, I've had a buff hatch out eggs... I'm hoping that one goes broody again this year.  

The Cluckatraz chickens might be ok if you introduce them again... they will be at the bottom of the pecking order, but I would wait until your good ones have complete their molt.   What breed are you Cluckatraz chickens?

White Plymouth Rocks. They were supposed to be Barred, but the order got mixed up. Didn't care once we saw them tho as I'm sure you know. Both white ones are behaving better now that they are away from the others, but still don't trust them. I will wait till the others are finished molting before trying to put them back. Do you think I should do one at a time or both together?:/

Since change is always stressful to animals (and humans at times) I would do them both at the same time

Talk about speaking too soon....I went out to close the girls up good & tight for the night as temps are below 0 as we speak. Good news is, Margo was on the roost in the coop! she did it all by herself this time. I still had to nudge Edith and Agnes out of the nesting boxes, but this time when I opened the lid to push em out, Edith turned and looked at me, squaked and left on her own, while Agness still needed a good shove.

Bad news is, when I went to the other pen to close up the 2 Rocks, Nuggett had brutally atttacked Pattie, making a hugh wound on her back where all her feathers had just grown back in. When I opened the cage to check her, Nuggett kept attacking me. This bird is possessed. I swear its Satan with a beak. Sad part is, I have no place else to put either one. If I cannot give her away, I will have to cull her. Kinda makes me sick to think about it. But then I think of how good the 3 Buffs are doing with out those two in the coop/run and it becomes easier to take.:(

Back
Top Bottom